Forming a field of type geometry in Geodatabase

12-06-2013 03:12 AM
AnatoliiTerentiev
Occasional Contributor III
Dear Gurus !
There is a table events with fields X, Y - containing the coordinates of points, which must be registered in the geodatabase. Created geodatabase cuks_gdb with standard tools of arcgis desktop 10.1. Table events copied in geodatabase :

select * into cuks_gdb.sde.events from cuks.dbo.events

3 . In the cloned table added field "shp" type geometry.

4 . Formed a field value by field values �??�??x, y:

update cuks_gdb.sde.events set Shp = geometry :: STGeomFromText ('Point (' + ltrim (STR (x, 99, 11 )) + '' + ltrim (STR (y, 99, 11) ) + ')' , 28406 );

All formed , error messages were not. But when I try to save changes in any field then I get an error message
The parameter type cuks_gdb.sys.geometry is invalid. Parameter name: value
How to fix ?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
I think you would need to register your "cloned table" as a layer with ArcSDE.  To do this, refer to the SDELAYER -O REGISTER command (http://help.arcgis.com/en/geodatabase/10.0/admin_cmds/support_files/datamgmt/sdelayer.htm) making sure that your -l parameter is something like -l cuks_gdb.sde.events,SHP.  Typically, the geometry column for registered layers is SHAPE but since yours is SHP then you'll need to specify it correctly during this type of manual layer registration.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: aviabunin

Thanks for answer, I will see. But some additional thoughts.
A few additional thoughts.
1. Is there are any tool to form geometry field from x,y - fields?
2. Is there are any other way to form needed table in geodatabase from x,y-table in sql server?
3. The initial problem is , that service on the table with ObjectID and Shape fields not worked - data not saved in the example with EditorWidget. Only delete operation work well, and normally executes update operation , when I test feature service in arcgis,com.
4. Can I update and add features in geodatabase from arcgis desktop 10.1 and how I can do this?
5. I have registered tables in geodatabase with tools in arcgis desktop - this is not enough?
6. If I have formed geometry field  of geodatabase table as previously described - this is not enough for CRUD operation in sql manager? from arcgis desktop?

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
AnatoliiTerentiev
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos