Finer grained control over web map extent?

Jump to solution
12-09-2020 09:12 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I often have trouble getting the right initial map extent for a web map. The only way I have to zoom in and out is with the mouse wheel or the +- icons.

Both make leaps in scale that are too big. I go from too-zoomed-out to too-zoomed-in with one click on the - sign or the smallest possible nudge of the mouse wheel. Is there a way to get some more control over this?

Thank you,

Randy McGregor

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

Are you using an Esri base map as your background, I assume?  The scale thresholds for each "zoom" are based on the tile structure these backgrounds are created under.  You will have no fine grained control for a slight variation when using these as your background. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

Are you using an Esri base map as your background, I assume?  The scale thresholds for each "zoom" are based on the tile structure these backgrounds are created under.  You will have no fine grained control for a slight variation when using these as your background. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you. That sounds right, unfortunately. If I could get some confirmation, I'll hit the "Accept as Solution" button. I want to be careful about hitting that as it is valuable information for other users. Just FYI - I think it should say, "Accept as correct answer." Sometimes, the correct answer is, "There is no solution." 😕

Thanks again,

Randy

TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

You may get an elaborate answer about creating and hosting your own tiled map service, to use as a background.  Although that is a correct, technical answer, it's not all that realistic for most users.   We have the same issue ourselves, and have to live with maps that are way too zoomed out, which we've decided as preferable to too far in.  

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That would be do-able, but in the end would probably be impractical. Ah well. Thanks for the input.

0 Kudos
patriciacdale
New Contributor II

I agree. This is not a solution.

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

Have you thought about using a Dynamic Map Service instead of a tile-cache as a base map?  You can pan/zoom to your hearts content, although you'll compromise on performance a little bit.  Esri confirm this approach:

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/administer/windows/customize-basemaps.htm#:~:text=you... 

and you can have a little play here:

https://hub.geoworx.co.nz/portal/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=0ecd681297d64ee8b870ad05cb855a20

The data is land use.  Sorry it's not styled well, and it's all I have that is open data at the moment.  But you can pan/zoom into any area you want to.  I've overlain some publically available parcel/building outline data to give context.

There are no tile-cache elements in this map.

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos