Features with Same Name in Separate Oracle SDE Schemas displaying in Map Service

318
6
Jump to solution
11-02-2021 07:37 AM
DeanMoiler
New Contributor III

Hi Everyone,

I'm having an issue wherein the wrong data is being displayed in an ArcMap MapService from a registered data store.

  1. The SDE Data Store is Oracle 19c
  2. Enterprise is at 10.8.1
  3. The two datasets have the same feature class name SURVEY_OUTLINES
  4. The two datasets contain obviously different polygon features
  5. The Data are in two different Schemas
    1. Schema1.SURVEY_OUTLINES
    2. Schema2.SURVEY_OUTLINES
  6. The Data are shared with a User/Schema GIS_VIEW, that has SELECT access to both Schemas
  7. Data are published to using ArcGIS Pro 2.8.3

 

To create the issue,

  1. a Map Service referencing Schema2.SURVEY_OUTLINES is published, and
  2. when viewed in a webmap the data in Schema1.SURVEY_OUTLINES is shown.

 

The data are all being accessed via the same SDE connection and is not swizzled (my absolute favourite Esri term). The feature class has been published without any other datasets in the map service for testing.

 

I have identified that this seems to occur:

  • if the the SDE Data source is Published to Portal and is configured for a federated server

 

This does not seem to occur when either:

  • the data are published via ArcMap
  • the SDE connection is imported directly via AGS manager and not added via Portal Data Store

 

Has anyone else experienced this issue? 

 

 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DeanMoiler
New Contributor III

Hi @George_Thompson ,

Support have found a BUG for this one (BUG-000132979) @ 10.8.1 that has not been patched, but is resolved in 10.9.

For any interested, the issue appears to be in the msd file stored on the server. Within this definition holds a reference to the alternate SDE schema.

Even more interestingly, if I replaced the *.msd document on the server, with the *.msd in the Pro Sharing folder, and restarted the service, it showed the correct data, so there must be a "swizzling" effect going on when the service is published.

{USER_FOLDER}\AppData\Local\ESRI\ArcGISPro\Staging\SharingProcesses\{SHARING_JOB)\{SERVICENAME.MSD}

{SERVER_CONTENT}\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\{SERVICE_FOLDER}\{SERVICENAME}.MapServer\extracted\p20\{SERVICENAME.MSD}

 

In order to resolve this bug until it is patched at 10.8.1, renaming one of the feature classes so that there are no duplicate FC names between schemas does solve the issue, though it may not preferable where data form part of a structured data model.

 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You may want to reach out to technical support on this issue. I seem to remember something similar back in the 10.2.x era of ArcMap. It could be an issue with the Pro client that needs to be corrected.

It works correctly when looking at the data in ArcGIS Pro?

Is the issue only after you publish the data to ArcGIS Enterprise?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DeanMoiler
New Contributor III

Hi George,

Yes the issue only appears once published to enterprise as a referenced MapService.

The data appears fine in Pro itself, and appears fine when the data are copied to the server or published via ArcMap.

In further testing it looks like once the issue has been triggered, I won't revert to the previous configuration  and connections to make it display correctly again...

Will be raising a ticket momentarily!

Thanks,

Dean

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the clarification.

I would create the ticket with the Enterprise team, since it works in Pro and only after publishing.

Please let us know the outcome of this case. Feel free to PM me the case# to follow.

--- George T.
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Once last question: This is not an Oracle user schema geodatabase is it?

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/manage-oracle/user-schema-geodatabas...

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DeanMoiler
New Contributor III

Thanks George, I'll PM the case to you once I've got a case number and I'll ask our DBA's regarding the user/sde schema geodatabase. I don't believe that they are, but I do not administer the Oracle side. Will post back when I get an answer.

Thanks,

Dean

DeanMoiler
New Contributor III

Hi @George_Thompson ,

Support have found a BUG for this one (BUG-000132979) @ 10.8.1 that has not been patched, but is resolved in 10.9.

For any interested, the issue appears to be in the msd file stored on the server. Within this definition holds a reference to the alternate SDE schema.

Even more interestingly, if I replaced the *.msd document on the server, with the *.msd in the Pro Sharing folder, and restarted the service, it showed the correct data, so there must be a "swizzling" effect going on when the service is published.

{USER_FOLDER}\AppData\Local\ESRI\ArcGISPro\Staging\SharingProcesses\{SHARING_JOB)\{SERVICENAME.MSD}

{SERVER_CONTENT}\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\{SERVICE_FOLDER}\{SERVICENAME}.MapServer\extracted\p20\{SERVICENAME.MSD}

 

In order to resolve this bug until it is patched at 10.8.1, renaming one of the feature classes so that there are no duplicate FC names between schemas does solve the issue, though it may not preferable where data form part of a structured data model.