feature service tiling

08-08-2019 07:37 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

They showed off Feature Service tiling at Dev Conf.  That is why Hosted Layers are so fast.

They said it "might" be in 10.7.1. I can't figure out how to publish a tiled feature layer from Pro. Can anyone say if this made it to the shipping 10.7.1 Enterprise? If so where can I read up on it in Documentation? Thanks!

This is the sole reason I pushed for Portal.  Dynamic map image layers slow down after more than a few users at once on a heavy layer. Feature layers themselves have never been fast enough to use for polygons or lines. WebGL layers have also not worked due to the WebWorker bug/limit.  I am greatly looking forward to feature layer tiling as the solution to build performant sites with high traffic.

11 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Dynamic map image layers slow down after more than a few users at once on a heavy layer

Kevin MacLeod‌ I was wondering what is your take on cached map services in your particular situation.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tanu I am not sure that would fit the bill...I have hundreds of services, multiple machines, dozens of viewers. I need to query and identify. They all have all popups on (WAB modification per Robert) and basically I need something simple, straightforward, that makes layers faster for multiple users at once. Feature service tiling looks to perfectly fit the bill and also I can finally leverage some of the new capabilities of feature layers like symbolizing etc.  Did feature service tiling now make it in to 10.7.1?

Also I hope we can soon see feature service capabilities from file GDB and allow feature service tiling from file GDB. Because getting out of SDE is often times very helpful to reduce complexity and increase reliability and resilience and portability. I'm thinking mainly of emergency management.

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Kevin,

First of I really don't know the answer for your question regarding 'feature service tiling'. I hope someone with expertise in that area will chime in. In the meantime please check What's new in 10.7 and 10.6.1 section in the following help which might help you.

Query (Feature Service/Layer)—ArcGIS REST API: Services Directory | ArcGIS for Developers 

I was mostly curious to understand why cached map service wouldn't work in your case? You can do both query and identify operations off cached map service plus it will help you draw them very fast even in heavy loads.

But it was your requirement to change symbology from the client side changes the equation. With that I got my answer.

Thanks a lot.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you Tanu for your comments. We change symbology in MXDs sometimes. And many of the datasets also change frequently, as they get updated. And how would caching work?  If viewers have dozens of layers people may turn on or off or re-order.  With caching, would it handle transparency or 'cover over' layers, in the browser canvas, since it is a raster?  Also I really don't think that would be feasible, I want users to be able to zoom down to 1:70 in my viewers. The space that would take for our 600+ layers to cache to 1:70... And many of them change often and would need recaching. Overall, my takeaway this year was feature service tiling sounds like the best all-purpose solution.  Would be glad to learn though any way I can to have layers load faster when scaled out to heavy load! And if anyone on Enterprise that is working on feature service tiling can chime in whether they are in the shipping version or when (ballpark) they might be coming. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kevin, are you looking for information on how to publish hosted tile layers?

Here are the different publishing workflows, whether from Pro or in portal:

Publish hosted tile layers—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Hilary, no. That's just regular vector tiles, right?  I mean the ones where it's a regular feature service, but it's tiled for display purposes. I need popups, querying, etc. It was what they showed at Dev Conf. It's how AGOL handles feature services now on the cloud. But of course, we need it on-prem. They described that it would be tiled in the Portal data store in PostgreSQL.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kevin, thanks for the clarification. This is something that will be in an upcoming version of ArcGIS Enterprise - the exact version is undetermined as of now. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Perfect. Just looking for a straight face check to see if I missed or it is still upcoming. Thanks, I'm looking forward to it!  

mpboyle
Occasional Contributor III

Hilary Curtis‌,

Is your response referring to hosted feature layers within a Portal Data Store, or feature services published from ArcGIS Server to a federated Portal?

I agree with Kevin MacLeod‌ that polygon or line feature services published from ArcGIS Server are just too slow to draw to support being used within a web map.  However, hosted feature layers published to the Portal Data Store are incredibly responsive.

We are a medium sized government agency that supports a pretty good number of GIS users, and if would be amazing if we could just publish feature services from ArcGIS Server and have them available for our users to use in web maps.  Most of our users are not heavy editors that need Pro or Desktop, and being able to provide them web maps and feature layers as a way to construct maps, is one of our desired goals...but until published feature layers from Server perform better, that's not a reality.

Before someone mentions alternatives...like caching, or publishing data to a hosted feature layer...that's all well and good, but it requires maintenance, and perhaps a lot of it if you have several or tens of hosted feature layers you want your users to be able to use.  Re-building cache takes time and a lot server resources.  Overwriting hosted feature layers takes time and both of these options means your data is a snapshot in time until you update it.