Failed to register Server machine JSONobject not found - Dataitems

Jump to solution
06-24-2013 10:17 AM
QuinnKorbulic1
New Contributor III
Hello,

When attempting to add a new server machine to an ArcGIS Server site I get the following error:

Failed to register the server machine {machine name}. JSONObject["dataItems"] not found.

I've done reinstalls on both machines but still get the same error. Verbose logging does not provide any other clues. Not sure what else to do about this...Any help?

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
QuinnKorbulic1
New Contributor III
So it wasn't the firewall.

Our config-store directory was corrupted. We rebuilt the config-store directory and everything worked after that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
hakanatak
New Contributor
hi, we got the same error please help thanks.

Hello,

When attempting to add a new server machine to an ArcGIS Server site I get the following error:

Failed to register the server machine {machine name}. JSONObject["dataItems"] not found.

I've done reinstalls on both machines but still get the same error. Verbose logging does not provide any other clues. Not sure what else to do about this...Any help?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
I don't know what this problem is.  That said, I'm willing to take a guess in order to try and help.

ArcGIS Server has the concept of a shared data store which has to be accessible from all machines.  You might want to check how/where your data store is configured and make sure that the machine you are adding has access to it.
0 Kudos
QuinnKorbulic1
New Contributor III
A few notes on our configuration:

Windows 7 Pro

Domain account used for the ArcGIS Server account and the Datastore is on a network server where the domain account has full access.

All firewalls are off BUT we're on a network where we have no control (see image) over how various computers communicate with each other...I suspect that communication from some of the necessary ports, specifically 4000+, is not being allowed on the network. This firewall issue doesn't explain the JSON error at all except in the case that one machine is trying to retrieve that object from the other machine through a blocked port and instead of providing a 'port closed' error it just says it can't get the object.

These are dev machines so it's not a huge deal that we get this to work considering the hoops we'll need to jump through to verify then open communication between the machines on the ports they need.

I'm curious to hear if others (who can access and manipulate their firewall and port config and) who are also seeing this error can make changes to their port config and get around this error.

Thanks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25565[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
QuinnKorbulic1
New Contributor III
So it wasn't the firewall.

Our config-store directory was corrupted. We rebuilt the config-store directory and everything worked after that.
0 Kudos
RuchiraWelikala
Occasional Contributor

Hi Quinn,

How did you go about rebuilding the config store? I have two machines in my site that are working fine, but when I go to add a third machine to site, I get the error that you encountered. However, my site has a lot of servers and connections that I can't afford to lose.

Thanks,

Ruchira

0 Kudos
QuinnKorbulic1
New Contributor III

It's been a while but I believe we just deleted the config store directory then navigated to the Server Manager page in a browser. From there we proceeded through the set-up steps which builds the config store directory.

We were starting from a clean install on all our machines so there was no worry with deleting the directory (we could always go back to doing a full re-install). In your case, you can probably rename the config store directory or cut and paste to a temporary location, then try the setup through server manager.

Good luck

0 Kudos