Failed to connect to the specified DBMS instance. Bad login user (SQL Server)

Jump to solution
04-14-2022 09:15 AM
TimHayes2021
New Contributor III

I have created an Enterprise GDB in SQL Server 2019. I used OS Authentication (dbo, not sde) and the Create Enterprise Geodatabase Tool. There were no problems. But, I also want to do DB Authentication. To do this I need to create a new login in SQL Server Management Studio. I created a new login, assigned the password. Then created the schema as same name as the login. Example:

Login: gisadmin

Schema: gisadmin

I assigned the roles as well. 

Seems like it would work, but when I try to add new database connection in Catalog, I get a Connection Error message that says: Failed to connect to the specified DBMS instance. A database connection exception has occurred. Bad user login. 

I checked SSMS and it allows Remote Connection and mixed with Windows and SQL Server Authentication modes. So that is correct. 

I added the user to new database in SSMS as well. 

Does anyone have an idea why it cannot connect to the database using Database Connection in Pro? Seems like the issue is SQL Server is not accepting a new login. I am the sa of the instance. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimHayes2021
New Contributor III

I found the answer. Restart the database in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS). I did this with a test database and it did not affect anything. If you have views and other items in the database, you better double check what impact a database restart would have on these. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndrewFarrar
Occasional Contributor

Can you login with that new user using just SSMS? take Catalog/Pro out of the equation first.

0 Kudos
TimHayes2021
New Contributor III

I found the answer. Restart the database in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS). I did this with a test database and it did not affect anything. If you have views and other items in the database, you better double check what impact a database restart would have on these. 

0 Kudos