Failed To Cache Extent

02-22-2019 08:22 AM
DaveTenney
Occasional Contributor III

All,

I know this topic has been discussed a lot in the past and wanted to bring it forward again as its completely frustrating that we are running into issues we first saw in 10.2.2 and now seem them in 10.5.1!

Reporting status from SERVERNAME/arcgis/rest/services/System/CachingControllers/GPServer/Manage Map Cache Tiles/jobs/j370aa7f0530a4475996f88a6a4752537

Failed to cache extent: -8159804.154220 5165921.617084 -8150023.200424 5175702.570880 at scale 1128.4971760000001 The index was either too large or too small.

that issues followed by at least 8 other extents that failed to cache. I have pulled the status.gdb to look at the areas that actually failed and they are not large areas and seem to be very random. does anyone have any solid input how to get past this? especially in 10.5.1?

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did you start the cache from scratch in 10.5.1 or did you just try to update the cache that has been used in 10.2.2?

0 Kudos
DaveTenney

originally we just kept the cache that was used and created in 10.2.2, but the more I read the more it really seems you cant keep the existing cache when upgrading. I feel little mislead by Esri as they will tell you that you can keep the existing cache and services....im slowly learning that really isn't the case.

so I decided to rebuild the tiles using the manage map cache tiles tool.

dave

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

So are you having the issue just with the cache you updated from 10.2.2?  Or are you also missing random cache areas in the cache built brand new in 10.5.1?

I have learned from experience to build cache brand new when you upgrade AGS software.

I would say this applies to other ESRI GIS items as well such as database connections and raster mosaic datasets (RMDs) as long as all users have been upgraded to the latest GIS version (This can take some time so it might be the last step in an upgrade process due to backward compatibility issues with RMDs).

0 Kudos
DaveTenney

yes we are now still encountering the same issue after rebuilding in 10.5.1, also when it starts feeding out these errors the server goes into a funky state...

Task Manager Services = ArcGIS Server = Stopped

ArcGIS Server web interface = Started

Task Manager Details  = ArcSOCs Running

its almost like it doesn't know what to do, not in any hurry to call Esri support because I know they will just tell me its a bad install and I should reinstall. which is in my mind crap and equates to: sorry we have no clue whats going on. its like taking your Nintendo cartridge out and blowing on it and putting it back in and hope it works.

dave

0 Kudos