Failed to Add Field Error

12-31-2019 03:49 AM
JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I am attempting to add additional fields to my file geodatabase feature class.

I was able to add two additional fields and then received an Add Field Failed error message.  The error message indicated the following "Failed to add the field to the table/feature class.  General function failure".  This feature class is not being accessed by anyone else.  I viewed the directory in Windows Explorer and there are 4 lock files that are initiated when this file is open but they belong to my PC alone.  I've attached both the error message and lock files for your evaluation.

Can someone please advise on how I can remedy this situation...other than exporting it out as a different feature class name...make the necessary changes...and then import it back in to the directory.  I'd rather not have to redo all the relationship classes over again with a new import.

Thank you in advance.

Jeff

4 Replies
Matt-Goodman
Occasional Contributor

Jeff Davis, if you suspect errant locks may have something to do with it, try compacting the geodatabase to ensure those are all cleared up.

Also, confirm that your new field name is valid for ArcGIS: 

Field names in the same table must be unique. Field names must also start with a letter and not contain spaces or reserved words. Field names are limited to 64 characters for both file and personal geodatabases, 31 characters in SQL Server and SQLExpress, 30 characters in Oracle and DB2; dBASE is limited to 10 characters.

0 Kudos
JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for replying Matt.

Unfortunately, compacting did nothing.  I am still getting the same error.

As for field names...I am not duplicating an existing field nor am I exceeding any character limits.

Jeff

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Try exporting the feature classes and related tables to a new file geodatabase (not sure if relationships will stay intact) and see if you can add the new field then.

0 Kudos
JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

I've used that workflow with previous issues.  It works but all relationship links are severed.

0 Kudos