Failed to access the DBMS

07-05-2019 02:10 PM
SoratoSouza_e_Silva
Occasional Contributor II

HI,

I'm trying to register a database sql server 2012 that is in another VM. My bank is 64-bit, the OS on both machines is 64-bit, only Arcgis is 32.

I already installed the client on the machine that is my GIS Server, but nothing works. As the OS is 64 I can never install the 32 client obviously.

I have already tried setting up ODBC 64 bit, but there is also connection failure.

can anybody help me?

Thank´s

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
JonathanFarmer_oldaccount
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Andre,

Before I delve into specifics, can we hash out the versions of things you are using? You are working with SQL Server 2012, any service packs installed? What version of Desktop and Server are you using?

Next, where are you trying to register this database from? Server Manager? ArcMap? Pro? 

SQL Server is unique in that you can install the 64 bit client and connect to both 32 bit and 64 bit applications. So, I always recommend folks just install the 64 bit client on their desktop client machines as well as their ArcGIS Server machines. Is that what you have done here? If not, what is your current situation? It's a little hard to tell from the original post.

Jonathan

0 Kudos
SoratoSouza_e_Silva

Hi Jonathan,

Thank´s for your attention!

I´m using Windows 7 (both) client and server. Database is SQL Server Express 2012. I´m using ArcMap (10.5.1) for publish.

My ArcGIS Server is 10.5.1 and Itried to publish by server also, but the problem happens too.

I installed client 64 in both machines, but work properly in the machine where sql server was installed.

I tried to use ODBC also, but unsuccessfully

Now I have the image previous show!

Thank´s for your help

0 Kudos

Andre,

It sounds like you are trying to register this database with ArcGIS Server when you are publishing from ArcMap. But what happens if you try to register it from Server Manager? Same failure? 

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/10.5/publish-services/windows/registering-your-data-with-arc...

SoratoSouza_e_Silva

Hi Jonathan,

The same failure happen unfortunately!

FAILED TO ACCESS THE DBMS

Can help me?

0 Kudos

Andre,

These errors mean that ArcGIS cannot communicate with your database. 

What happens if you ping your database machine from your ArcGIS Server machine? Can they communicate? Can you telnet over the default SQL Server port (1433)?

It may be beneficial to open a support case on this as there is only so much we can do here.

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

André Souza

Can you show more of the connection dialog when you are creating the connection and not just the error?

As Jonathan Farmer‌ noted, check for connection between the two systems via ping and telnet.  Check the ping for both IP and FQDN.

Do you have a firewall between the two systems or could they be running of different subnets/vlans? 

Is port 1433 open and is this the port the SQL server is running you are trying to connect to?  Especially if not running on the default version.

0 Kudos
SoratoSouza_e_Silva

Both firewalls are turned off, ping verified between ok! But only by IP, because no DNS configured. The 1433 port is on in database,..I do not know what to do anymore!!

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

André Souza

As you do not have DNS enabled, have you tried to connect using the IP address of the server rather then the server name?

0 Kudos
SoratoSouza_e_Silva

YES! Correct! By IP work very well. The communication is open.

0 Kudos