Export Web Map, What is Missing

11-11-2017 02:05 PM
BanchanaPandey
New Contributor III

I have read many questions like this and have not found any resolution yet.

Recently after upgrade to 10.5.1, the custom print service on one of my arcgis servers is failing.

The print service is a geoprocessing service published using Export Web Map tool and uses some custom templates.

In one server machine, it works and in another it fails. Both arcgis servers are set identical interms of security and permissions to files and folders. 

Unable to complete operation.
Error executing tool. Export Web Map
Why it works on one and doesn't work in another arcgis server, its been hard to find out.
Yes esri says that this is not supported anymore for web tier authentication, but why is it still working on one and not the other. Both servers were upgraded using the same install software. What I am missing? Both arcgis servers have their web adaptors installed in each machine with the arcgis server.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
12 Replies
BanchanaPandey
New Contributor III

I found my solution. 

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

It's always good practice to explain what you did so it may help others in the future.  Even if the solution was something like "I had a typo".    Then mark your question as "assumed answered" or your answer as correct so the thread can be closed.  thanks.

RebeccaChoy
New Contributor II

Hi. Could you please share what your solution was? I'm in the same boat right now and have been unsuccessful finding the difference/solution

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Rebecca,

'Unable to complete' is a very generic message. It does not give you much info why it is failing.

I'd suggest you to change your print service message level to 'Info'   

and check what is the message returned by the service when it fails. If you use web app, then you can use browser's Developer Tools to check the network traffic to find that out.

also, pls check the Server log.

Thanks.

Tanu

0 Kudos
RebeccaChoy
New Contributor II

thank you Tanu. i'll give that a shot.

0 Kudos
RebeccaChoy
New Contributor II

My error is specifically

Error executing tool. Export Web Map Job ID: ja350acef3caa48fe9f9a288726e04f24 : Layer "Basemap": Unable to connect to map server at https://..../arcgis/rest/services/.../Basemap/MapServer. Failed to execute (ExportWebMap2). Failed to execute (Export Web Map).

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Rebecca,

what that means is that your print service can't access Basemap map service.

may be there is some kind of admin setting on the server that prevents it from accessing the map service.

one quick way to find that out is:

• log on to your server machine, where the print service running, as ArcGIS Server Account user
  • open a browser
  • try to access the map service from there.
0 Kudos
RebeccaChoy
New Contributor II

hi yes the basemap rest service doesn't have any security settings it's public.

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

yes, you service may be public, but due firewall or other kind of restrictions your print service (in fact the server that is hosting the print service) may not have access.

did you try logging on the server and try to access the map service (using the same url that you'd use in your web app) as I mentioned?

are both map and print services running on the same machine?

0 Kudos