Error message for .mdb

10-29-2015 11:45 AM
SarahWallace1
New Contributor

Hi, trying to open a .mdb that was burned to a cd and sent to me. Whenever I try and access it in anyway I get the below error message. Anythoughts?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Can you open it in Access?

0 Kudos
SarahWallace1
New Contributor

It gives me the below error message and then takes me to entry page for access as if it is blank....I am wondering if it is blank?

0 Kudos
SarahWallace1
New Contributor

Sorry, Once I get the error message it defers me to the availible template page in access,

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

There's a 10 year old thread here that has lots of ideas, especially:

Here is the solution that I came up with... First close all of your esri windows to make sure the file in question is not in use. Then delete the lock file in Windows Explorer. Change the name of the original file (put an "a" after it or something similar), this is because if you have recently worked with the file then ArcCatalog will try to go directly to the corrupt geodatabase, but if it has a changed name then the error won't come up. Anyway I am getting ahead of myself. With all the ESRI windows still closed. open the copied version in MS Access. It will tell you that the file you are trying to open is either not a database or it has become corrupt and it will ask if you want to fix it. Say yes. Then open that file up in ArcCatalog and things should work. I hope this helps.
SarahWallace1
New Contributor

It worked! Thnx and I hope you have a great day!

0 Kudos