Error in Portal when adding item: Analyze Service Error: Exception: hostname in certificate didn't match: !=

Jump to solution
03-25-2017 11:50 AM
EdFarrell
New Contributor III

This is a fresh install of Enterprise, the error occurs when trying to add items. I've tried a csv and a zipped shapefile so far. Process is outlined below. [windows server 2012 R2 in Azure vm, all components on the same machine]. Screenshot of the error attached. My guess is that using a self-signed cert for IIS 443 may be causing these issues. 

1. Install Portal
  2. Install Web Adaptor in IIS, self signed cert binded to IIS site, configured with Portal
  3. Install ArcGIS Server (AGS) and relational Data Store.
  4. Install web adaptor in IIS and configure with AGS
  5. Federate AGS site with portal
  6. Make the AGS site the hosting server 
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EdFarrell
New Contributor III

Well, I figured it out. When I was federating server with portal I used the machine name instead of the machine name with the fully qualified domain name (FQDN). For example I put vmname:6443/arcgis instead of vmname.domainname.com:6443/arcgis. This caused portal to look for a certificate for "vmname". Instead, the certificate comes back from server with the vmname.domainname.com name, so they don't match, and an error ensues.

Hope this helps someone out there!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
EdFarrell
New Contributor III

Well, I figured it out. When I was federating server with portal I used the machine name instead of the machine name with the fully qualified domain name (FQDN). For example I put vmname:6443/arcgis instead of vmname.domainname.com:6443/arcgis. This caused portal to look for a certificate for "vmname". Instead, the certificate comes back from server with the vmname.domainname.com name, so they don't match, and an error ensues.

Hope this helps someone out there!