ERROR 001487: Failed to update the published service with the server-side data location.

08-29-2019 05:57 AM
Occasional Contributor II

Everytime we try to update a map service using the overwrite web layer option in ArcGIS Pro  the error appears.

Notice that this error appears only when we try to do an "Overwrite" . The publish  new web layer tool always works fine.

We use Arcgis pro 2.4 to publish on ArcGIS Enterporise 10.7 istance (Porlal and Arcgis server 10.7 on windows server)

The complete Log is here attached:

All our ArcGIS projects  are based on different SDE layers as registered databases.  All the databases used are correctly validated in the ArcGIS Server manager 

To better undestand the error :

1) We tried to publish and overwrite the same services changing the connection to the dataset, from "registered data" to "copy all" option : in this case the overwrite works fine.

2) We tried also to publish /overwrite  the service directly on the hosted ArcGis server using arcmap , and it works fine.

Please, any help is higly appreciated...

Thank you in advance


0 Kudos
10 Replies
New Contributor II

Arpa Piemonte Geoportal Team

Check to make sure the layers in the project are indeed sourced in the proper enterprise geodatabases. Different versions/connection properties can affect the publishing process if you are referencing the data. For example, if the data is sourced in the same database, but accessed with a different user than what is registered with AGS, then it can result in this error.

Best of luck!

New Contributor III

I am having the same issue. My setup:

  1. Data is stored in SDE DB.
  2. Data is accessible in arcmap.
  3. I create and sd file in arcmap.
  4. Sde file is referenced by arcgis server and validates OK (user has full access to data in SDE).

When trying to publish from AGS from sd file I get:

 ERROR 001487: Failed to update the published service with the server-side data location. Please see the server's log for more details. ERROR 001369: Failed to create the service. Failed to execute (Publish Service Definition).

Nothing more in the server log for this attempt than this:



Failed to create the service.: Updating the server connection string for layer sqldbuatgisdb.PROPERTY.prLettingEasementLine failed. Attempted connection string was ENCRYPTED_PASSWORD=fffff;;INSTANCE="DSID=c9e5a34b-8bec-4f9f-85e6-87daf7d98674";DBCLIENT=sqlserver;;DATABASE=db;USER=user;VERSION=sde.DEFAULT;AUTHENTICATION_MODE=DBMS. Table name is sqldbuatgisdb.user.fc. Please verify the data exists on the server.



any idea?

It fails if I want access to features, WMS is OK.

Same data published OK in our test environment.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor II

Tried all the forum and posts suggestions but the error remains...

All database sources are always  the same as before and they are validated client side and server side.

We did't undestand the error but we Solved it  trying a total restore of Arcgis ebnetreprise  from portal backup.

Notice that the backup file  we used referenced a portal status that already had the error (back up of one day before versun error that appeared since unone month ago) : so we think that restore "heal " some confifuration statust in the data store or in the sevice definitions..

Hoping ESRI Staff will look min this eror deeply.



0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I had this same issue, I had changed a password on the account that is used for the layers in the project.  I realized after searching for just about everything else, and looking at the not very helpful AGS Server logs, that I needed to remove the account from the registered DBs in AGS Server, and re-add the connection.  After that it worked fine, I guess it had a conflict with the new password and the one that was stored in the registered connection on Server.  I hope this saves someone a lot of frustration and searching...

Occasional Contributor III


0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi, for my case, the real reason is the db connection password was changed, and the solution is:

1. Go to ArcGIS Server Manager ->Site->Data Stores

2. Validate All data stores and notice the database store is failed to validate

3. Edit the database store and import the new db connection

4. Validate all data stores again until succeed

5. Republish map service and work well

Occasional Contributor II

I'm having the same problem. Re-adding my connection did not solve it for me. 

0 Kudos
MVP Regular Contributor

The error I had came even though the data was not referenced.

The data was being copied to the server, I suppose the Managed ArcGIS DataStore of the Hosting Server.

This was the error:

WARNING 086223: Jobs directory in service definition is not set or is invalid. Using default jobs directory.	
Creating the service.	
ERROR 001487: Failed to update the published service with the server-side data location. Please see the server's log for more details.	
ERROR 001369: Failed to create the service.	
Failed to execute (Publish Service Definition).


This was due to some parameters in my Modelbuilder model that were set as Constant values in the result of the geoprocessing history, and shared as a web tool.

When you right-click the model>edit metadata, the item description page appears.

In there, there is a section where you can specify the syntax of the model parameters by providing a dialog explanation for them.

I was providing a dialog explanation for the 'output_gdb' (a workspace variable), the 'excel_csv_output' (a folder variable), and 'analysis data' (a folder variable).

My theory is that by doing this, it was forcing the staged web tool to try to copy these workspace and folders to the datastore, but the directory structure was not available in the datastore.

The web tool would maybe then no longer use the default workspaces and folders in the datastore.

I was able to publish successfully once I removed the dialog description for these workspaces and folders.


0 Kudos