Select to view content in your preferred language

Enterprise Geodatabase item name differences (SQL Server)

Jump to solution
01-19-2024 11:46 AM
Layth
by
New Contributor II

Hi All.  I have a weird issue that I can't resolve.  Hopefully someone has seen this before. 

I have created a brand new Enterprise Geodatabase in ArcGIS Pro 3.1.  The database is hosted in SQL Server 2019 (developer edition) and the schema is SDE owned.

When I copy or create a new featureclass or table in this database they are displayed in ArcGIS Pro (and ArcPy) as "USER.FC_NAME".  

My customer's database, however, on the same version of SQLServer when they display data from it, shows up as DATABASE_NAME.USER.FC_NAME.

I really need to replicate that in my dev environment because the difference has caused issues with ArcPy tools I've developed for them.

Does anyone know why this difference exists between the two Enterprise Geodatabases, and more importantly how I can change my local version to match theirs?

Thanks!
Layth

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @Layth,

This is a well known change with the ArcSDE Geodatabase for SQL Server that was introduced with the ArcGIS Pro 3.0 release.

From my white paper: How to Move the SQL Server Enterprise Geodatabase with a Database Backup

Read the details below.

ArcGIS Pro Help

Methods to move a geodatabase in SQL Server—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

When you move a SQL Server database that contains a 10.9.1.x or earlier version geodatabase,
you cannot rename the database when you move it. When you restore the database, for example,
you are given the opportunity to restore it with a different name. Don't do this with a geodatabase;
you won't be able to connect to it.

When you move a SQL Server that contains an 11.x version geodatabase, you can rename the
database when you move it.

What's new in ArcGIS Pro 3.0—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Enterprise geodatabases and databases

Enterprise geodatabases in Microsoft SQL Server that you create or upgrade in ArcGIS Pro 3.0
allow you to restore the SQL Server database with a different name from the original name.
Changes associated with this functionality mean that the following is true of 11.x geodatabases in
SQL Server:

ArcGIS Pro 2.2 and earlier versions cannot connect to them.
ArcGIS 10.6.1 and earlier versions cannot connect to them.

Table and feature class names no longer include the database name.

For example, a table named productdata.dataowner.inventory in a 10.9.x geodatabase is named
dataowner.inventory starting with 11.x geodatabases.

Restoring SQL Server Databases with a New Name (esri.com)
Read this article.

I hope this clarifies.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

The difference is due to the desktop program used to create the geodatabase. Using ArcGIS Pro 3.X removes the DATABASE_NAME from the item name. Using ArcGIS Pro 2.X or ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap / ArcCatalog) will result in the setup of your customer. 

The only way to get the databases to match in that regard is to use an older version of ArcGIS Pro, or ArcGIS Desktop.

RyanUthoff
Regular Contributor

What Esri version of the EGDBs are they? Not the SQL Server version, but the Esri version? Starting at 3.0 (I believe), the DB name is no longer included in the of the feature class.

This is actually a huge change because we now have the ability to rename EGDB's without completely breaking them within Esri. But Esri did warn that some workflows would have to change in how the feature classes are referenced. There is documentation about it, but I'm struggling to find it at the moment.

MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @Layth,

This is a well known change with the ArcSDE Geodatabase for SQL Server that was introduced with the ArcGIS Pro 3.0 release.

From my white paper: How to Move the SQL Server Enterprise Geodatabase with a Database Backup

Read the details below.

ArcGIS Pro Help

Methods to move a geodatabase in SQL Server—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

When you move a SQL Server database that contains a 10.9.1.x or earlier version geodatabase,
you cannot rename the database when you move it. When you restore the database, for example,
you are given the opportunity to restore it with a different name. Don't do this with a geodatabase;
you won't be able to connect to it.

When you move a SQL Server that contains an 11.x version geodatabase, you can rename the
database when you move it.

What's new in ArcGIS Pro 3.0—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Enterprise geodatabases and databases

Enterprise geodatabases in Microsoft SQL Server that you create or upgrade in ArcGIS Pro 3.0
allow you to restore the SQL Server database with a different name from the original name.
Changes associated with this functionality mean that the following is true of 11.x geodatabases in
SQL Server:

ArcGIS Pro 2.2 and earlier versions cannot connect to them.
ArcGIS 10.6.1 and earlier versions cannot connect to them.

Table and feature class names no longer include the database name.

For example, a table named productdata.dataowner.inventory in a 10.9.x geodatabase is named
dataowner.inventory starting with 11.x geodatabases.

Restoring SQL Server Databases with a New Name (esri.com)
Read this article.

I hope this clarifies.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
Layth
by
New Contributor II

Thanks everyone for your replies.  It makes perfect sense now.  I was able to create a new (old version) egdb using ArcCatalog to replicate the client's setup.

0 Kudos