Select to view content in your preferred language

Enterprise Database - Web Services - Licensing

Jump to solution
03-18-2024 12:12 PM
CamMiller17
Occasional Contributor

I recently started working at a new location to establish GIS Services for them. Most of my team currently runs with basic level licensing for ArcGIS Pro. I have an advanced level. 

My question is if you create an Enterprise Database and you share that data to a web service, would they be able to edit the data or would they need to upgrade to standard? I couldn't remember since most people have at least standard.

I am trying to create a multi-user environment with the current licensing, if that is even possible. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Web usage pretty much circumvents desktop licensing requirements - it's a great way to enable your users to edit Enterprise data without the expensive desktop licenses. Obviously, it's limiting in terms of what kind of editing they can do, but as long as they're editing a web service you can get around it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Web usage pretty much circumvents desktop licensing requirements - it's a great way to enable your users to edit Enterprise data without the expensive desktop licenses. Obviously, it's limiting in terms of what kind of editing they can do, but as long as they're editing a web service you can get around it.

CamMiller17
Occasional Contributor

Sweet, thank you @ZachBodenner 

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Honored Contributor

Editing data on a server will require paying more. For each person who wants to edit on the server.

You need "Standard" to edit on a server. If you have a web site that can edit data, you need to log in with a user who can edit, usually that means you need a CREATOR user type.. there's a EDITOR level but that never works for us. We have CREATOR licenses.

It's amazing how many words give so little information on their web site.

Ask your Esri rep about concurrent licenses. They still have those (for now anyway). No need to pay for a full desktop license for someone who only needs it to look at a map 15 minutes a month.

0 Kudos