Enabling editing for bulk published feature services

Jump to solution
09-22-2021 01:04 PM
tigerwoulds
Occasional Contributor III

We are running ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1. I followed this doc here to bulk publish around 50 feature services: Publish layers in bulk from a user-managed data store—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS E...

As the doc states, editing is not enabled by default. Is there a way (either through Portal/Server Manager or using Python) to go into the service properties and enable editing?

0 Kudos
18 Replies
LongDinh
Occasional Contributor II

I forgot parenthesises in my print statement. It is currently printing the method object and not the returned value. It should be:

print (response.json())

That means the request was successful, however, in ESRI's REST service implementation, the response from the service will return a message in JSON format. You will likely see an error property in the returned JSON.

For other status codes, you can look at this.

tigerwoulds

It worked like a charm, no errors. Thank you very much! 

Next goal is to apply this workflow to over 100 services in a folder on Server Manager so I can make the same edits to every service within that folder. Thank you again for your help thus far. 

tigerwoulds

Hi @LongDinh 

For some reason, my script is throwing an error when submitting the POST. I am building the JSON file programmatically (since I have 100's of services), but my code sees the JSON file as invalid. 

{'status': 'error', 'messages': ["A JSONObject text must begin with '{' at character 1

• The JSON file is does start with the {
  • I have validated it using an online editor
  • I can copy the JSON from the file and submit it through the MapServer/edit endpoint and it is successful.  Any ideas why I cant POST the JSON file?

0 Kudos
LongDinh

Hi @tigerwoulds ,

The variable json_file is a path and not a JSON object hence the input parameter throws a 'does not begin with {' error.

I think your payload on line 100 should be:

payload = {
 'f':'json',
 'service': service_json,
 'token': token
}
0 Kudos
tigerwoulds

Yes good catch, I missed that. Unfortunately I still get the same error

0 Kudos
LongDinh

Try converting the service_json to a json string like:

payload = {
   'f': 'json',
   'service': json.dumps(service_json),
   'token': token
}

Hopefully it throws a different error. 

0 Kudos
tigerwoulds

@LongDinh unfortunately, same issue BUT I was able to figure this out using a slightly different method from this example. I converted this to python 3 and replaced the httplib/urllib pieces with the functions from the 'request' library for python 3 and everything is worked as expected. Including the payload as you described initially was key to get this working. 

I can now loop through a folder on my GIS Server and update properties/capabilities for all services in the folder. 

Big thank you for your help again. 

LongDinh

Awesome work! Glad to hear you reached a solution 🙂

0 Kudos
MichaelSnook

@tigerwoulds ..I am looking to do the exact same thing but I'm getting a bit lost on the upgrade.  Can you share your working Python3 script by chance?  Thanks!

0 Kudos