Enable Enterprise Geodatabase Without Installing ArcGIS Server

Jump to solution
07-27-2022 12:50 PM
PatrickMcKinney99
Occasional Contributor

According to the documentation for the Enable Enterprise Geodatabase tool, you must provide the "keycodes file that was created when ArcGIS Server was authorized."  

Is there an alternative way to generate the keycodes file without installing ArcGIS Server?  My preference would be to deploy a production enterprise geodatabase before setting up the production ArcGIS Enterprise site.

Based upon how long it took to set-up things in the development environment, I will be waiting a while for my IT to set-up things so I can install ArcGIS Enterprise in a production environment.  Getting a SQL database set-up is a much faster process.

However, I'm not sure if that is possible. I am looking for a solid answer. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I think that the keycodes files is the best / approved way to create the Enterprise Geodatabase EGDB. Now, I know that you can create multiple EGDB with the same keycodes file.

One option is to have IT create the Prod Server VM now, install / authorize the ArcGIS Server site, and get the keycodes file. Then when you are ready, install the rest of the Enterprise components and move forward. You could shut off the service / VM once you have the Prod keycodes file.

Potential other workflow:

It may be worth you using the DEV license to create the PROD EGDB, then when PROD is ready and have that keycodes file, update the license in the EGDB: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/update-enterprise-geodatabas...

I would recommend talking to your Esri Account Manager / Customer Service to see if this not a violation of the licensing agreement for your organization.

Just random thoughts.......

--- George T.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I think that the keycodes files is the best / approved way to create the Enterprise Geodatabase EGDB. Now, I know that you can create multiple EGDB with the same keycodes file.

One option is to have IT create the Prod Server VM now, install / authorize the ArcGIS Server site, and get the keycodes file. Then when you are ready, install the rest of the Enterprise components and move forward. You could shut off the service / VM once you have the Prod keycodes file.

Potential other workflow:

It may be worth you using the DEV license to create the PROD EGDB, then when PROD is ready and have that keycodes file, update the license in the EGDB: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/update-enterprise-geodatabas...

I would recommend talking to your Esri Account Manager / Customer Service to see if this not a violation of the licensing agreement for your organization.

Just random thoughts.......

--- George T.
0 Kudos