Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Server Upgrade & ArcGIS ArcMap Compatibility

Jump to solution
07-26-2022 07:10 AM
JD1016
by
Frequent Contributor

Hello,

I require some advice from the professional community.

We are currently running ArcGIS for Server 10.4.1 and using single use licenses for ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) 10.8.1 one of which is installed on the same server machine running ArcGIS for Server 10.4.1.

At present, ArcGIS ArcMap is being used to publish services.  With the current version "...for Server" we cannot use ArcGIS Pro for publishing.  This is something we obviously want to switch over to in the future.

For now, however, I would like to have the option to do both publishing from ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro.

I've read that ArcGIS Server 10.9 cannot be installed on the same machine as any version of ArcGIS Desktop and that ArcGIS Server 10.9.1 can be installed on the same machine as ArcGIS Desktop as long as Desktop is version 10.8.2.  Unfortunately, we have only one machine and it will have ArcMap installed on it.

My first thought, in order to retain the ability to use both the ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro runtimes for publishing is to go with ArcGIS Server 10.8.x and continue to run our ArcMap 10.8.1 until retirement in 2026.

If you install ArcGIS Server 10.9.1 (which includes the migration tooling), do you need to upgrade your ArcMap to 10.8.2 in order for it to publish successfully or can you still publish using ArcMap 10.8.1?

So many questions and considerations...

Thank you.

JD

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

To have ArcGIS Server 10.9.1 installed on the same machine with ArcGIS Desktop, yes Desktop has to be 10.8.2. The 10.8.2 Desktop version is what corresponds to the 10.9.1 Enterprise release (including ArcGIS Server).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

To have ArcGIS Server 10.9.1 installed on the same machine with ArcGIS Desktop, yes Desktop has to be 10.8.2. The 10.8.2 Desktop version is what corresponds to the 10.9.1 Enterprise release (including ArcGIS Server).

JD1016
by
Frequent Contributor

Okay.  That's what I surmised.  Still torn on whether to leave Desktop at 10.8.1 and upgrade the server to just ArcGIS Server 10.8.1.  If I go to 10.9.1 I get the tooling plus it buys us another year to 2027 versus 2026 to make the full change.  I also wanted to make sure publishing from the ArcMap runtime was still covered in the 10.9.x versions and it seems to be the case.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

0 Kudos