Editing branch version - edits pruned on Save or Apply Edits

11-24-2021 12:57 PM
FraserHand
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there,

I'm using branch versioning and have seen this behaviour when editing a branch. When editing a branch version of a feature service in ArcGIS Pro I can see the edits to a feature appear and be tracked as expected - multiple rows are created and I can see the history of the feature, As soon as the Save Edits is clicked, all of these are trimmed and only the last record of the feature is retained. If the last edit was a delete then the row is removed from the feature class table rather then the GDB_DELETE_AT and GDB_DELETED_BY being set. Is there any way to retain archiving type behaviour for a record / feature that exists in a branch version? 

Thanks

Tags (1)
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Your service should be archiving these automatically. Generally, you either need to go into the Historical Moments tab to view those historic edits, or else you need to query the database directly.

jcarlson_0-1637787750860.png

The built-in tool is easier to use, but sometimes it's nice to combine a time-based query with other filters to get really specific outputs, rather than just "the whole database as of this date".

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
FraserHand

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reply. Using the historical tool or Add Archive doesn't seem to show the history for a branch (I may be missing something) - to show what I mean

Will editing the FS in Pro I see this as I move through my edit session

FraserHand_0-1637789768829.png

As soon as I click "Save" in Pro the edits in the table are trimmed to the last record.

FraserHand_1-1637789864023.png

and all the other edits are discarded - as I understand it it only keeps the history for features in SDE.Default.

We are working almost exclusively in versions via the Javascript API - and want to be able to see how a feature changes within a branch version - but this doesn't seem to be how it works?

Thanks

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ah, I see. Very curious! Are you deleting features that originated in Default, or the same branch?

If you perform more edits after saving, do you lose that first "trimmed" row, or do you get one per save?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
FraserHand

Hi,

Hi,

These features have been created in the branch. If you do more edits then save, all older records are trimmed - there is only one row per feature. If you edit a feature that exists in default the behaviour is the same - if you edit it multiple times you see the changes until you save then only 1 row is stored against the branch.

Thanks