Edit versioned data in portal

05-18-2020 04:13 AM
MelanieFournier1
New Contributor III

Hello,

I have been asked to register as versioned our data in arcGIS Enterprise. Now I tried to publish some feature layer as editable layers. Unfortunately I can only edit the the attributes.

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.4 and AGEnterprise 10.7.1. 

I found a lot of documentation online, but things are really not clear to me.

Do I need a branch version to edit my feature layers in portal then reconcile and reinject?

If I checked "register the objects with the option to move edits to base", do I need a branch version?

In ArcGIS Pro I cannot see the option "Version Management". 

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

M.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Melanie,

> I found a lot of documentation online, but things are really not clear to me.

To help clarify, there are 2 different options to enable versioning - where you enable multi-user editing of the same data in an enterprise geodatabase: traditional versioning and branch versioning. Some resources:

1. Versioning 101 - ArcUser Technical Article (traditional versioning, this is an older article, but still relevant)
  2. Branch Versioning—What is it and How Does it Work?

> Do I need a branch version to edit my feature layers in portal then reconcile and reinject

You would enable versioning at the geodatabase tier (via ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap). You can choose one of the versioning models above, see this blog to help you decide which To Branch or Not to Branch

> If I checked "register the objects with the option to move edits to base", do I need a branch version?

The "register the objects with the option to move edits to base" is applicable to traditional versioning,

Versioning types - help topic

> In ArcGIS Pro I cannot see the option "Version Management". 

Are you unsure where to locate it in ArcGIS Pro?

Manage versions—Geodatabases | Documentation 

Hope this helps,

MelanieFournier1
New Contributor III

Hi Derek,

thank you for the reply and the links, they are helpful.

For the last question about ArcGIS Pro, I apologize my comment was not clear at all. I found the management tools for the versions, I tried them and it worked perfectly fine. I saw in the onlinde documentation that when you publish a web layer (with branch versioning), ArcGIS Pro proposes the option "Version Management" under Capabilities, like in this picture https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/geodatabases/overview/GUID-0A57135F-E1EA-4519-8426-B2F7B... 

I tried and this option didn't appear, so I was wodering if I forgot something in the process.

Thanks for the tips!

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Melanie,

> I saw in the onlinde documentation that when you publish a web layer (with branch versioning), ArcGIS Pro proposes the option "Version Management" under Capabilities, like in this picture https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/geodatabases/overview/GUID-0A57135F-E1EA-4519-8426-B2F7B... 

This link is not working for me ... can you please verify?

EDIT: Link works now. Can you please share the link to the help topic that references this image, as I am unable to find it.

0 Kudos
MelanieFournier1
New Contributor III

Hi sorry for this. Here is the link I shoudl have referenced: Share branch versioned data—Geodatabases | Documentation 

I tried the branch versioning and did get this "Version Management" box to tick under capabilities when I was sharing my web layer.

I really like the branch versioning capacity, and how it makes the versioning workflow easier (at least in our case).

Thanks for all the info.

Best,

Mélanie

YinghongLi1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I encountered the same problem.  I registered a branch database connection.  When I used "Publish Web Layer"  in AG Pro 2.8 the Capability item never showed up so I had no way to select Version Management option.  Do not know what went wrong.  I did use data owner account to create the database connection.

Please help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
YinghongLi1
Occasional Contributor

I got the problem solved.

1. In addition to create a branch versioning database connection and create a data store in portal/AG for server with the branch versioning database connection, editor tracking needs to be set for all the layers and tables to be published

2.  all the layers and tables need to have global ids.

3.  may need to do versioning again after branch versioning database connection is created.  did not see this in document.

Then when publishing web layers,  version management option displays.

Thanks

0 Kudos