Does the account running ArcServer service need to exist in DB?

Jump to solution
07-15-2019 03:03 PM
AllenScully
Occasional Contributor III

We're connecting to and trying to publish from a non-Spatial Oracle database.  The connection is made using a 'direct connection':

<servername+path>/<dbname> 

After some trial and error, the connection works, we have 32 and 64bit Oracle clients installed and configured correctly (fun times!) and can register the database with the ArcServer connection.  

Publishing fails - error 001487

Have been doing all kinds of research about this, and it seems that the account that runs the ArcServer windows service ALSO needs to exist in the source database?  I'm hoping I'm misunderstanding, but am just looking to see if any brains out there can confirm or deny this.

I was combing through this thread:

https://community.esri.com/thread/213633-i-am-receiving-error-001487-when-attempting-to-publish-on-a... 

Am concerned, because we need to use a domain account to run ArcServer but the database in question doesn't use Active Directory.

Thanks - 

Allen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RachelSears
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Allen,

Which version of ArcGIS Server are you using? There was a bug with version 10.4.1 with publishing XY event layers:

• BUG-000096129 - When publishing a map service containing a XY event layer that is created from an enterprise geodatabase table, the layer fails to publish and results in this error: "Error 001487: Failed to update the published service with the server-side data location."

The bug was fixed with a patch that you can download here: https://support.esri.com/en/download/7397

Hope this helps!

- Rachel

View solution in original post

9 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

With SQL, yes, the domain service account running the server needs to have permissions to the DB. 

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Direct connections are the only connections and have been for years since Esri retired the ArcSDE application server.

What matters in your case is whether you are using Operating System Authentication (OS/OSA) or database user connection (DB).  If the former, then the credentials running ArcGIS Server will need to exist in Oracle as well.  If the latter, you just need to ensure whatever credentials you are embedding in your SDE connection file exist in Oracle.

Also, looking at error 001487, have you registered the Oracle connection you are using with GIS Server and validated it works?  (Register an Oracle database with ArcGIS Server—Manage data | ArcGIS Enterprise )

AllenScully

Thanks Josh - 

So my scenario is the latter - the connection to Oracle is using a database account, not OS authentication.  So, that's good news as it simplifies things.

What's interesting is that yes, I can, through ArcMap/Catalog register that connection with the ArcServer instance.  After doing this, publishing still fails. 

However, I tried registering the same Oracle DB connection file through Server Manager, and it just spins, never resolving in either success or error. 

Going through the logs, I see both 001487 error (failed to update the published service with the server-side data location) and 001369 error (failed to create the service) - I'm suspicious now that the 001487 error is simply a symptom of the 0001369 error - if the service was not created, then all attempted processes afterward would fail too.  

There are 2 errors in the log that appear to precede the two mentioned above - 

SwizzleService failed

DoAfterSDExtraction failed

Have run up against the Swizzle issue before, so I may review that one and start from there.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you have any services published from an Oracle database running on this GIS Server?  I ask because I am trying to determine whether your issue is possible with the Oracle client configuration overall, or something specific to the Oracle database you are trying to connect to from the server.

0 Kudos
AllenScully

Hi Josh -

Good question.

It appears we are not able to publish from our other Oracle DB through this ArcServer either.   We have 2 Oracle DBs in production (2 too many) - 1 is an SDE, spatial DB.   The other is a non-spatial Oracle DB that we now need to publish from (table w/ XY, > make XY Event layer and publish).

We can connect and work with data from both Oracle DBs in Desktop - so, your theory about client config has some traction, specifically the 64 bit since I believe that's what's needed to work with ArcServer.

I have followed our own org-generated steps for getting the 64 bit client installed along side the 32 bit - but Oracle's Kafka inspired product installation rules give plenty of reason to think we don't have it right.  

Happy to hear any pointers if you have them, but this is fairly in the weeds so I'm prepared to open a ticket w/ ESRI in the hopes I can connect with someone familiar with Oracle world.  

Thanks for your help -

Allen

0 Kudos
AllenScully

Brief update - 

We can in fact publish from the non-spatial Oracle DB (I switched servers - the original one has other issues) - but I cannot publish what we need, which is an XY Event layer.  I can publish tables and views from this database, but the XY Event layer fails - the swizzle failure shows up in the logs.  

There is a high-level warning pre-publishing, but it appears to just be there to let you know XY event layers are super slow in webmaps.

So, I'm less inclined to think this is Oracle client related - more likely something specific about the properties of the data in question. 

0 Kudos
RachelSears

Hi Allen,

Which version of ArcGIS Server are you using? There was a bug with version 10.4.1 with publishing XY event layers:

• BUG-000096129 - When publishing a map service containing a XY event layer that is created from an enterprise geodatabase table, the layer fails to publish and results in this error: "Error 001487: Failed to update the published service with the server-side data location."

The bug was fixed with a patch that you can download here: https://support.esri.com/en/download/7397

Hope this helps!

- Rachel

AllenScully

Hi Rachel -

I am forever in your debt - worked like a charm (running 10.4.1) - I was tearing my hair out over this one, many thanks.

0 Kudos
RachelSears

Hi Allen,

I am glad that I could help, and relieved for you that it ended up being such an easy fix!

- Rachel

0 Kudos