Docker and ArcGIS Enterprise conflict - Single-machine deployment

Jump to solution
09-14-2022 07:58 AM
Rodrigo_DaSilva
New Contributor III

Docker and ArcGIS Enterprise conflict

Hello guys. I hope everyone is well.

I'll try to summarize my current "headache"...

I have an "all-in-one" style ArcGIS Enterprise installation. All components installed on a single server, Windows Server version.

Without knowledge and questioning, a Docker Desktop was wrongly installed on this Windows Server server.

Now, when trying to validate the Enterprise federation, it generates a failure, followed by the following message:
"Error: The server at 'https://machine.domainlocal.net:6443/arcgis/admin/info' returned an error. Could not connect to the ArcGIS component at URL 'https://HOST.DOCKER.INTERNAL:7443/arcgis/sharing/rest/community/self'. The ArcGIS component on that machine may not be running or the machine may not be reachable at this time.Error: HOST.DOCKER.INTERNAL."

The Docker application was uninstalled, the hosts file located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc was restored to the default Windows default.

Would you know a way to correct the message above?

I thank you in advance for the support and attention given here.

Best Regards,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

If you need Docker on the same machine for any reason, re-add the FQDN before the entry that Docker adds, i.e.

10.0.0.1 actual-machine-name.domain.com HOST.DOCKER.INTERNAL

Enterprise will use the first hostname that matches the local IP address.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello there Rodrigo, thank you for reaching out!

When docker is installed, an entry is made in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts besides the default localhost. To resolve this, remove the new host name from the hosts file at that location and save the file. Please let me know if any other issues crop up.

Keep on keeping on!
Rodrigo_DaSilva
New Contributor III

Hi Jon. Thanks for your answer.

Adjustment was made to the hosts file located at C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts , but the error persisted.

My action logic was to manually perform the Hostname in my Single-machine deployment.

Followed step by step:

1. Go to https://machine.domainlocal.net:6443/admin/security/config

Locate the "Portal properties" field and Bavkup the content. After Backup, I changed any "HOST.DOCKER.INTERNAL" references to my server's Hostname and saved the new configuration.

Rodrigo_DaSilva_1-1663193828124.png

Rodrigo_DaSilva_2-1663193883620.png

2. Access the https://machine.domainlocal.net:6443/admin/data/items/enterpriseDatabases/AGSDataStore_ID_Your_ArcGI...

Under Supported Operation, select "edit"

In the Item editor, I also changed any reference "HOST.DOCKER.INTERNAL" to my server's Hostname and saved the new configuration.

Rodrigo_DaSilva_3-1663193924731.png

After that, I restarted my ArcGIS Enterprise and the system was back up and running with the correct hostname.

PatrickC
New Contributor II

Thank you for this. I was looking all over for that Docker intruder!

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

I had the same thing happen, I wanted to use dockers on the same machine.  Docker creates extra virtual network interfaces. ArcGIS does not expect this. It finds the Docker interface first, and sets itself up on it instead of the real interface. Then suddenly ArcGIS disappears from your network and only Dockers can talk to it.

I don't have notes on this, on my windows 11 desktop the extra interfaces stay around when I stop Docker Desktop. I can see them using the ipconfig command. For example my desktop sees this at the end

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (WSL):

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b9d2:a91a:a36b:119%50
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.21.144.1
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Once it's created it hangs around when I exit Docker Desktop app. You want that gone.

Rodrigo_DaSilva
New Contributor III

Thanks for your contribution Brian.

I attached in the answer to Jon the step by step that helped me to solve my problem

Thank's for your time

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

If you need Docker on the same machine for any reason, re-add the FQDN before the entry that Docker adds, i.e.

10.0.0.1 actual-machine-name.domain.com HOST.DOCKER.INTERNAL

Enterprise will use the first hostname that matches the local IP address.