Do you need to choose a python version at install time?

Jump to solution
07-16-2020 09:27 AM
DarylHochhalter
Occasional Contributor II

I've seen documentation that python 2.x and 3.x versions come with enterprise, but only see the the 2.7 folder installed on the server. Can I make it run 3.x? Do I need to run 2.x to publish with ArcGIS desktop? Will this affect publishing with Pro?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It absolutely is NOT the case.  The Python 3.x interpreter that is installed with ArcGIS Server is licensed via ArcGIS Server.  It is super easy to test yourself, just open up the Python 3.x intepreter installed with ArcGIS Server, type 'import arcpy' and you will see it loads.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't have time at the moment to answer all of your questions, but Python 2.x and 3.x are both installed.  Python 3.x is installed:

%AGSSERVER%\framework\runtime\ArcGIS\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3

0 Kudos
DarylHochhalter

Thanks for your reply, it was helpful! I have since spoken with someone from support on another issue and I believe gotten answers to some of my other questions.

I believe even though the libraries are there, I would need to have Pro installed on the server machine in order to have the license required to run arcpy 3 scripts. If that isn’t the case I would like to hear about it.

I am interested in using the scripts to set up tasks on the server machine.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It absolutely is NOT the case.  The Python 3.x interpreter that is installed with ArcGIS Server is licensed via ArcGIS Server.  It is super easy to test yourself, just open up the Python 3.x intepreter installed with ArcGIS Server, type 'import arcpy' and you will see it loads.

0 Kudos
DarylHochhalter

Yes, I was able to figure it out and thank you for your reply Joshua! The way I managed to get it going was to run proenv.bat opening a cmd window then entering idle. Also, had to run the bat file as administrator to be able to edit scripts and save them as well as run them. Was glad to figure out the license didn't depend on Pro being installed and believe there is another script called propy.bat that you can use to run python 3 scripts as windows tasks. Saw that in the same folder you mentioned in your initial post. 

I'm not sure I'd call it super easy to figure out on your own. I still haven't found a way to run the idle window for python 3 without have a cmd window open first. Can you confirm that all the same libraries are available with Enterprise Server as would be with Pro installed? Wondering if I may have misunderstood the other person I talked to and there might be some libraries specific to a Pro license?

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The ArcGIS Enterprise bundled Python interpreters are meant to be used by and within ArcGIS Enterprise, so Esri doesn't document them the same way they document the bundled Python interpreters for ArcGIS Desktop.  Since the ArcGIS Enterprise bundled Python interpreters aren't meant to be used the same way people use the ArcGIS Desktop bundled interpreters, making it "super easy to figure out" how to use the ArcGIS Enterprise bundled interpreters outside of ArcGIS Enterprise isn't a priority/concern for Esri.

In this case, I am not going to give the benefit of the doubt to the Esri Support analyst, i.e., I don't really think they knew what they were telling you.  Although the core geoprocessing components of ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Enterprise line up fairly cleanly, e.g., tools that are licensed with ArcGIS Pro Basic are licensed with ArcGIS Enterprise Basic, tools that are licensed with ArcGIS Pro Standard are licensed with ArcGIS Enterprise Standard, etc...; there are some specialized geoprocessing components that license differently between ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Enterprise.

It is best to have a specific tool or set of tools you are interested in discussing rather than a broad question like, are all ArcGIS Pro tools licensed in ArcGIS Enterprise.  What tools are you specifically interested in?

0 Kudos
DarylHochhalter

Thanks Joshua for all the info, you might be right about the support analyst but it was a secondary topic to my initial inquiry. I'm not interested in a specific tool at this time but for future reference thought I'd throw it out there, the Advanced, Standard, Basic reference is good enough for now! Thanks again!

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Please close out this question if you are done, which it seems you are now.  Thanks.

0 Kudos