Disallowing “empty” value for a field without applying the “default value” option,

02-04-2017 01:47 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Disallowing “empty” value for a field without applying the “default value” option,

For example, in the screenshot below, as a feature is digitized, its value in the “f2” field gets empty. What I wanted here is to avoid having an empty value and thus once a new feature is digitized, then the ArcMap shall ask for an entry for that feature for the “f2” field. I’m aware of that the “default value” could be a solution, however, I need the data entry to be forcibly required to choose a value from the list to avoid the empty value.

Thank you

Best

Jamal

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
11 Replies
AhmadSALEH1
Occasional Contributor III

Dear Jamal,

Have you tried feature templates (F.T)? if the field f2 has a number of known values lets say (v1,v2,v3) you can create 3 feature templates an each time you can assign deferent value for f2. When the user start editing your F.C he will have 3 F.T and he should select one of them to digitize the point the values of f2 will be entered directly based on what was defined in the feature template.

Thanks,

Ahmad

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Ahmad.

I wanted to fix this issue at the level of Desktop so that it can be inherited when the layer is published and consumed in a web mapping application. With the solution you have already proposed, I think this might not work

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine