Disallowing “empty” value for a field without applying the “default value” option,

02-04-2017 01:47 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Disallowing “empty” value for a field without applying the “default value” option,

For example, in the screenshot below, as a feature is digitized, its value in the “f2” field gets empty. What I wanted here is to avoid having an empty value and thus once a new feature is digitized, then the ArcMap shall ask for an entry for that feature for the “f2” field. I’m aware of that the “default value” could be a solution, however, I need the data entry to be forcibly required to choose a value from the list to avoid the empty value.

Thank you

Best

Jamal

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
11 Replies
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

If you don't want to use default value. so I prefer to active  Display the attributes dialog before storing new features. This in Editing toolbar menu > options... > Attributes Tab ( look to below picture)

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Abdullah.

What I meant here is to force entering values for fields but not to have pop-up dialogue box such that the system will never proceed unless the values are entered and thus no “empty” values are allowed.

Jamal Numan
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Defining domains would be the best option available.

Or working on Domain with subtypes. Here you can define a different default domain value for each subtype. Create subtypes and attribute domains

And you could lock the Attribute Editor window while editing so that you get the option to edit the attributes each time you create a feature.

Think Location
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Hi Jayanta,

Neither domain nor subtype can resolve the issue due to the fact that ArcMap accepts “empty” value even in case you have domain or subtype.

But how can I apply this:

“And you could lock the Attribute Editor window while editing so that you get the option to edit the attributes each time you create a feature”

Jamal Numan
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I was just mentioning the attribute window in Editor toolbar. 

Once locked, the attribute window will be available alongwith the data frame for interactive editing of attributes.

Think Location
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks.

But this will never “force” you to fill data for the fields in question and thus they can be left “empty”!

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It seems to be the design that you don't agree with, as I suggested earlier, post on https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas?sr=search&searchId=97032e75-b302-4eaf-87a7-753cf30...‌ or put a workflow case through your local representatives.  That is the only way things get changed.  If it doesn't work the way you want, then maybe no one has told them, or there is a very good reason why it doesn't.  Give it a try and report back

KevinMacLeodCAI
Occasional Contributor II

Greetings@JayantaPoddar - we are also using Collector and JS API web apps and I want to force end users to pick and choose from some values in a domain list. It should not allow them to submit and click OK on Collector unless they choose the value in these fields. I am aware of the Disallow Nulls and how it just makes it a "" or a 0.  That is basically the same thing, in reality. (I know what a true DBNULL is; but a "" is the same thing conceptually in this regard)   It seems this concept of Esri geodatabase design needs engineering, so it can prevent empty user entries. It should make users choose from the domain values.

Anyhow, do you know of any other way or workaround with the Esri platform to make users choose a value from a list of domain values? Or enter text to a string field? For Collector, mostly; but also for apps on JSAPI. This is an essential part of most field GIS to ensure users are doing everything that needs to be done for inspections. Thank you all for any advice.

0 Kudos