Select to view content in your preferred language

Did everyone see this issue?

2 weeks ago
Dan_Brumm
Occasional Contributor II

I feel like this is kind of a big issue that I just happened to see. 

Problem: Impact of Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge 127 Updates on ArcGIS Enterprise (esri.com)

Daniel Brumm
GIS Nerd
11 Replies
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Yeah that kind of seems like a thing that should get emailed to every single ESRI customer, and probably announced much much earlier since the patches will be available for only the newest Enterprise versions. That's really unfortunate.

CodyPatterson
Regular Contributor

Very curious why this wasn't something released in a newsletter or sent out via email. I assume a very small percentage of people are moved onto 11.3 so the majority of people using Enterprise will be impacted by this. Hopefully the updates come out shortly because major users will have quite the time working with this, especially if it doesn't get announced and they're blindsided.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

This is a fairly recent post on this from May 5 in the ArcEnterprise Community:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-enterprise-questions/chrome-developer-console-warnings-on-sever...

It's not just ESRI components, it's any web components anywhere that still reference mutation events. . . .

I'm glad to see ESRI is aware and on it, at least

Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

To be fair Esri have been warning of this potential outcome for nearly 18 months, ever since the discussion that JSAPI 3.x was to be deprecated.  The warning has been open book.  I would imagine that Esri are early adopters of Chrome/Edge browser versions, and may only have had a few days/weeks to see this and deal with it. 

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/js-api-arcgis/developers/arcgis-api-for-javascript-version...

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos
RyanUthoff
Regular Contributor

While I agree Esri and others have known about this potential outcome for 18 months, that also means they've had 18 months to mitigate this issue in advanced as opposed waiting until a month before Chrome releases a breaking update forcing everyone to install a patch in a month timeframe before Portal breaks. I don't believe they've only had days/weeks to deal with this considering it's already "fixed" in 11.3.

Even Esri indirectly admitted in their own support article that Portal is dependent on "old, obsolete piece of web technology." My question is why is this being mitigated at the last minute when this warning has supposedly been an open book?

RyanUthoff_0-1718728141687.png

Edit: Not directing my frustration at you. I'm just frustrated at the situation and the lack of communication from Esri about a major breaking change.

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

I get the frustration.  But the warning 18 months ago was a generic - 'something could happen'.  The specifics of that were unknown until very recently.  Esri can only fix the specifics that they know about.  Further, Esri are not aware of the direction that Google will take Chrome, and there could be more breaking changes to come if people stay on the JSAPI 3.x path.

The article and the current issue relate to the fact that a lot of the JavaScript in 11.1 (possibly 11.2) and earlier was predominantly JSAPI 3.x. I understand that 11.3 the bulk of the JSAPI is 4.x, which is not affected by these changes.  There will be some 3.x stuff in there, without a doubt, but 11.3 is a transitionary version where WAB apps should morph to become EXB apps during this release.  So the tools are available to mitigate the published issue.

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos
ANH
by
New Contributor III

Thank you for reposting this and getting it more attention, @Dan_Brumm. Much appreciated

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff
Regular Contributor

I only found out about this because that support article showed up on my "suggested" sites to visit in Chrome. This absolutely needs to be communicated with all Esri customers via email or some other notification. Anytime there is a "breaking" update, whether it be through Esri or another program that interacts with Esri, there needs to be a mass communication about it. Unless if the expectation is that the burden is supposed to fall onto the customer to constantly check Esri's support/knowledge base and/or geonet for this kind of information.

0 Kudos
Thomas_Puthusserry
Occasional Contributor

This was communicated  to us by local ESRI just a week ago. We were in 10.9 until last week, but luckily upgraded to 11.1 without even aware of the fact that patches are not available for 10.9.

Any idea when the patches would be released and any potential impacts of this when applied? There are quite a bit of concern about business disruptions and a very short window available to fix this.

0 Kudos