Database Server (Workgroup), Portal, Data Store & Web Adapter

Jump to solution
06-04-2019 11:51 AM
JohnTaraskiewicz
New Contributor II
I want to setup a base deployment of Database Server (Workgroup), Portal and Data Store on one server, with Web Adapter(s) on our separate web server.
I've read the "Tutorial: Set up a base ArcGIS Enterprise deployment" here:
This document does a great job of explaining how to deploy ArcGIS Server Enterprise with Portal, Data Store and Web Adapters, especially for a beginner like me, but I haven't found any equivalent guide for the Database Server (Workgroup) scenario.
First, is this possible? If so, is there an install guide for this? Several guides say that ESRI recommends ArcGIS Server, Portal and Data Store all run on different machines, but an exception to this is if you are configuring workgroup ArcGIS Enterprise deployment, but that's as specific as they get. Can't find info about federating a Database Server, or how to create an ArcGIS Server site in Database Server. Also not sure how the Portal connects to the Database Server, is this automatic since they're installed on the same server?
Need advice. Thanks.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanFarmer_oldaccount
Occasional Contributor III

John,

Yes, in order to utilize Portal for ArcGIS you'll need a base deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise. It would be something separate from a workgroup geodatabase.

If using AGOL is out of the question, then you would need Enterprise to use Collector in your organization. But this may come down to cost too so that's a discussion to have with your Account Manager and/or Customer Service.

Jonathan

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hi John,

It sounds like you are talking about 2 different needs here:

1. A basic Enterprise deployment with Portal, Server, and Data Store (and 2 web adapters for Portal and Server) which is similar to what one might get if they used Enterprise Builder to set this up.
  2. A workgroup geodatabase which is an instance of SQL Server Express licensed and enabled to store workgroup geodatabases.

Is that correct? If so, 1 is going to be separate from the other. For workgroup geodatabases, we do have some requirements that need to be met:

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/manage-data/windows/workgroup-geodatabases.htm

The big one there is that the SQL Express instance be installed on the same machine as ArcGIS Server. For simplicity, Portal could be there as well but that depends on machine resources. 

The Data Store component though is completely separate. Data Store has its own PostgreSQL databases which store the data published to it. So data stored in SQL Express (workgroup GDB) and in Data Store wouldn't be connected in any way other than they are published to the same federated environment in your case.

Hope that makes sense, let me know if you have any questions.

Jonathan

JohnTaraskiewicz
New Contributor II

Thanks Jonathan.

I was under the impression that I could use Database Server (Workgroup) instead of ArcGIS Server Enterprise, because we only have 3 ArcMap users. It sounds like I was mistaken, and that in order to use Portal I still need ArcGIS Server Enterprise, is this accurate?

Up to now our ArcMap users have not needed any server components, but one of them wants to use the Collector app to collect data for use in ArcMap and AutoCAD, and I was told one needs either ArcGIS Online or Portal to use Collector. Our parent organization wants us to keep all data in-house so Portal is preferred over ArcGIS Online. It sounds like I should just go with an Enterprise deployment instead of Database Server (Workgroup). Would you agree?

-John

0 Kudos

John,

Yes, in order to utilize Portal for ArcGIS you'll need a base deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise. It would be something separate from a workgroup geodatabase.

If using AGOL is out of the question, then you would need Enterprise to use Collector in your organization. But this may come down to cost too so that's a discussion to have with your Account Manager and/or Customer Service.

Jonathan

JohnTaraskiewicz
New Contributor II

Great, thanks for clearing that up for me!

-John

0 Kudos
MoizIshfaq
New Contributor II

Hi and thanks for sharing the issue and fix details. I have a similar scenario and thought to post it under this thread rather than posting a brand new question. I am looking for a bit clarity here as I have ESRI developer license and am trying to setup ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9 Workgroup. The available documentation link https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/documentation/install/database-server/10.8/intro-workgroup-database... talks about setting up Workgroup database rather than how the whole Enterprise Portal setup work. 

Can you please share your experience regarding a step by step procedure and requirement regarding how it should be setup? I tried following and got stuck at ArcGIS Server Authorization step.

1. Setup Portal and provide the json authorization file for Workgroup to license it.
  2. Setup Web Adaptor and Portal context.
  3. Setup ArcGIS Server and authorize using the ArcGIS Server Workgroup provisioning file. It leads to an error 'Unspecified error no valid feature found in the received authorization data. Please check the data you entered and try again'. I have tried https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000023647 and https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000012007 and both of these links seems partly related to the scenario described here, but don't address the issue.

Next step is to setup datastore, but can't proceed beyond this point. Can you please share your thoughts if I am missing anything here? 

0 Kudos
MoizIshfaq
New Contributor II

My steps for workgroup installation above worked for me. The issue I was having was corrupted ArcGIS Server installation, so I removed and re-install and all went smooth. 

Thanks

0 Kudos