Select to view content in your preferred language

Create a view layer to join one row of an inspection to many of sub-inspections

07-11-2024 06:39 AM
CameronLacelle
Occasional Contributor

We have a hosted feature layer created from Survey123 for playground inspections for our Parks Department. The inspections consist of one overall main inspection for the playground and multiple related sub-inspections for each piece of equipment in the playground. I want to create a view layer in Portal to join these two but I want the view layer to only contain the number of rows as there are main inspections (right now 23 rows).

Currently when I create the view, it results in the view layer having 101 rows, which is the total number of sub-inspections. So it looks like there are over 100 inspections completed for the playgrounds when really it's all the sub-inspections so we have duplicate values.

Is there a way to perform this join in the view layer that will just append the column names of the sub-inspection table to the main inspection table? Obviously with the same column names, that is why it's appending rows, but I would be fine if it just appended to the columns with a suffix "_1", "_2", etc. Can I do this in arcade somehow right in the pop-up for the feature layer? The feature layer itself contains the main feature and the related sub-table.

4 Replies
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

I don't have experience with Portal, and I'm not quite following your last paragraph:

Is there a way to perform this join in the view layer that will just append the column names of the sub-inspection table to the main inspection table? Obviously with the same column names, that is why it's appending rows, but I would be fine if it just appended to the columns with a suffix "_1", "_2", etc. Can I do this in arcade somehow right in the pop-up for the feature layer? The feature layer itself contains the main feature and the related sub-table.

But a database view or query layer might do what you need. There is a Make Aggregation Query Layer that could be used to get a list of playground inspections and also a field that is a count of the related playground equipment sub-inspections. But that tool is buggy.

If you are unfamiliar with SQL and you want to share some fake data via Excel or a mobile geodatabase, I could show you how to do it via SQL, which could be used in a database view or query layer.

You could share screenshots of fake input data, and mock up the result you want in Excel and share that as a screenshot, to make it clear what you're looking for.

What kind of database is your enterprise geodatabase? I.e. Oracle 18c.

CameronLacelle
Occasional Contributor

Yeah our team creates SQL views quite often but as it stands right now the data is a hosted feature layer so I believe I can only make a view in Portal via "create view layer" from the hosted.

Luckily I've found that I can add the related table's contents directly to the pop-up, but this doesn't function properly in the dashboard where the pop-up is featured.

We are working on migrating the hosted feature layer for this project into an enterprise geodatabase. We are a Microsoft SQL Server shop.

Bud
by
Honored Contributor

Would it make sense for you to submit an ArcGIS Enterprise Idea?

• Title: Aggregate layer view (hosted feature layer)
  • Description: Roll up a given table/FC. Group the rows by a common ID and add a count column. It would be a dynamic query, not a static output/export.
  • Use Case: Join from a parent layer to a child aggregate layer. The relationship of the raw data was 1:M, but the relationship to the rolled-up aggregate layer would be 1:1. Provide a link to this post for additional info.
  • Submitting an idea would force Esri to confirm it can't already be done using existing functionality.

Or something like that?

CameronLacelle
Occasional Contributor

Yeah that's a good idea, I feel like I'm continually adding to the ArcGIS Ideas whenever I hit a wall using Enterprise apps. Which is unfortunately more often than I'd like it to be. Appreciate the reply.