Considerations for using PostgreSQL as a Enterprise Datastore

Jump to solution
04-27-2020 07:10 AM
TylerVeinot2
New Contributor II

We are in the process of implementing a Enterprise GIS and I am wondering about using PostgreSQL as the datastore over MSSQL. The concerns are mainly A). Is there any loss in functionality? B). Will this limit us in what we can tire into the GIS in the future? C). Will it function as well or better than MSSQL? D). Will there be any compatibility issue with other integrations like; Asset Managment, Work Order Systems, Field Worker, Planning and Permit systems etc... either htrough Esri or compatible vendors?

Is anyone using a ArcGIS Enterprise deployment with PostgreSQL? What services do you have integrated? Any issues? What size organisation?

We are a city of about 36000 people and to start we will have something like 60 to 100 users on the GIS from basic map and dashbord interface, (24) basic editing, (2-3) Analytics and Maintenance.

So any thoughts or comments, especially those with practical experience would be welcome.

Thank you all;

Tyler

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I can say that from a GIS functionality standpoint that ArcGIS support both SQL Server and Postgres equally. Now there are administration differences between them as you would expect. There may be some authentication differences and ease of use, like Active Directory logins, between them. From the ArcGIS clients side it does not matter. I have seen large and complex deployments of both within the ArcGIS Enterprise ecosystem.

I do see both of these platforms being supported into the future (but I have no crystal ball).

One component that is taken into consideration is administration of the RDBMS. Do you currently have Postgres (or willing to learn) experience or potentially in-house SQL Server DBA's?

Hope this answers some of your questions.

--- George T.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I can say that from a GIS functionality standpoint that ArcGIS support both SQL Server and Postgres equally. Now there are administration differences between them as you would expect. There may be some authentication differences and ease of use, like Active Directory logins, between them. From the ArcGIS clients side it does not matter. I have seen large and complex deployments of both within the ArcGIS Enterprise ecosystem.

I do see both of these platforms being supported into the future (but I have no crystal ball).

One component that is taken into consideration is administration of the RDBMS. Do you currently have Postgres (or willing to learn) experience or potentially in-house SQL Server DBA's?

Hope this answers some of your questions.

--- George T.
TylerVeinot2
New Contributor II

After investigating the compatibility of all the components one required MSSQL so with no cost savings it made no sense to dive into this rabbit hole any further.
Thank you for the reply.
Cheers!

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I agree with George about the technical issues.  Addtionally, the reason Esri supports enterprise geodatabases in more than one DBMS is a recognition of the fact that most organizations choose their enterprise DBMS platform for many reasons, and ArcGIS likely isn't one of the big drivers for the choice.

TylerVeinot2
New Contributor II

Thanks for the replies, since we have nothing aside from some desktop machines and some flat files on a file server my considerations were primarily cutting startup costs so that we could use the savings to increase capabilities. My IT support was worried that going with PostgreSQL would paint us in a corner for when it came time to select additional services.

To my understanding everything we need is offered up by esri and can be fully integrated into the enterprise gis, thus a better route all around. IMO

Tyler

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you have gotten enough information for now, please mark a response as correct or mark the question as assumed answered to close it out.

0 Kudos