Portal upgrade backup

Jump to solution
03-01-2020 05:47 PM
AngusHooper1
Occasional Contributor III

After successfully upgrading from 10.6.1 ArcGIS Enterprise to 10.7.1 we are left with a sizable amount of data in D:\arcgisportal\upgrade-backup\10.6.1.

Can this directory be safely deleted now it is some time after the 10.6.1 - 10.7.1 upgrade? Should it not self-delete during the upgrade process?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

It's not going to delete the backups, as it's your data. Even though the upgrade went through, Portal will let you decide when the backups can be deleted. If this isn't called out in the docs, we can make that change. Once you're comfortable that the upgrade succeeded, you can delete the backups.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

It's not going to delete the backups, as it's your data. Even though the upgrade went through, Portal will let you decide when the backups can be deleted. If this isn't called out in the docs, we can make that change. Once you're comfortable that the upgrade succeeded, you can delete the backups.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This section of the documentation may cover it:

• When the upgrade completes, the backed-up information is retained on disk. For example, you'll see this information denoted with _10.<version number> appended to the end of the directory. It's recommended you move this information to another location to save disk space.

Upgrade your ArcGIS Enterprise portal—Portal for ArcGIS (10.8) | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

Thanks,

Chris

JCGuarneri
Occasional Contributor II

If one needed to restore from these backups, how would you do it? I ran into a snag upgrading the dev server and can roll back to a snapshot, but I'm curious how this process would work.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Those backups are mainly for the software to be able to roll back, not so much for you to after the fact. I'd first suggest rolling back to a snapshot of the machines, or restoring from a backup using the WebGIS DR tool.

If you did want to roll back those files yourself, theoretically you could uninstall, reinstall, create the site, stop Portal and replace the respective folders in the data directory with the ones that were backed up. I wouldn't suggest that route, though.

JCGuarneri
Occasional Contributor II

Ah, OK. That makes sense. Thank you for the clarification.

0 Kudos