Connector for 6443 not added in tomcat after installation of ArcGIS server

Jump to solution
08-24-2018 08:27 AM
JohanLundgren
Occasional Contributor

I'm installing ArcGIS server on a Windows Server 2012:

1. Download ArcGIS Server 10.4.1 from www.MyEsri.
  2. Start the installation and enter the MS Window's admin user as the user to run the ArcGIS service. (I select the Windows admin user to make sure that there is no missing file read & write permission issues. I have also tested the installation with entering arcgis as user, but it also fails as described below.)
  3. Authorize as ArcGIS as a Server Standard Workgroup 10.4.1.
  4. Next, is to create the site, but before doing that...
  5. ....open a command window in Windows and enter netstat -a
  6. Notice that the port 6080 is open.
  7. Notice that the port 6443 is not open.
  8. Open the file C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\runtime\tomcat\conf\server.xml in a text editor.
  9. Scroll down and notice that there is no connector for the port 6443.
  10. Try to create a site and notice that it fails (shows an error) indicating that the port 6443 is not open.

I also tested the same with a Windows Server 2012 R2, and it worked fine:

• Port 6443 is open after installation of ArcGIS server.
  • Connector is added in file C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\runtime\tomcat\conf\server.xml
  • It's possible to create a site without any error.

Any idea why ArcGIS installation 10.4.1 fails to open port 6443 on a Windows 2012 server, as described above?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZahinaKhan
New Contributor III

From your description it seems like there might be an issue with the installation if the connector is missing from the server.xml file. 

Do you have any anti-virus installed on the machine? (McAfee, Symantec) A lot of times anti-virus causes problem with ArcGIS Server. 

You can try replacing server.xml from a working ArcGIS Server 10.4.1 to this ArcGIS Server and restart the ArcGIS Server service to see if it will pick it up? (Make sure you stop the service before changing the server.xml file)

To re-install you can do is,

- Uninstall ArcGIS Server 10.4.1

- Remove/Rename the folder Program Files\ArcGIS\Server

- Re-install ArcGIS Server 10.4.1

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ZahinaKhan
New Contributor III

From your description it seems like there might be an issue with the installation if the connector is missing from the server.xml file. 

Do you have any anti-virus installed on the machine? (McAfee, Symantec) A lot of times anti-virus causes problem with ArcGIS Server. 

You can try replacing server.xml from a working ArcGIS Server 10.4.1 to this ArcGIS Server and restart the ArcGIS Server service to see if it will pick it up? (Make sure you stop the service before changing the server.xml file)

To re-install you can do is,

- Uninstall ArcGIS Server 10.4.1

- Remove/Rename the folder Program Files\ArcGIS\Server

- Re-install ArcGIS Server 10.4.1

JohanLundgren
Occasional Contributor

Yes, we have Symantec on these machines and that might have been the problem and why the ArcGIS server installations failed. We tested with both ArcGIS Server 10.4.1 and 10.6.1. Uninstalled in the same way as you describe. All installations failed on this machine.

However, we managed to successfully install ArcGIS Server on Windows Server 2012 R2, so we were thinking that the problem was caused by windows. I forgot to check antivirus. That was probably the root cause and why it failed. To be sure we have to install again, but no such plans at the moment. If I run into the same problem in the future, then I will definitely check antivirus software.

Thanks!

//Johan