Connecting to SQL Servers

08-01-2019 01:53 PM
AprilChipman
Occasional Contributor III

I am in the process of upgrading and migrating from ArcGIS Server/Desktop 10.3 to ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1. The 10.3 version has a SQL Server geodatabase on a 2008 Windows machine. The new 10.6 version has a SQL Server geodatabase on a 2016 Windows server and SQL version.

Should I be able to connect to two different versions of geodatabases on two different SQL servers running different versions of SQL? Or do all of my connections have to be to the same version of SQL Server?

I have not been able to connect to the new geodatabase, and have tried installing ODBC 13 and uninstalling Native Client 2012 with no luck. I keep getting this error:

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

April,

Have you tried to use the Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server assuming you have clients 10.5 or newer.  Also check the Rules for mixed-releases connections in Compatibility between ArcGIS clients and geodatabases in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS Desktop if you are using older clients.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

What is the versions of SQL Server for each version?

If the 10.3 version is using SQL Server 2008 that is not a supported version at 10.6.x; https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/system-requirements/10.6/database-requirements-sqlserver.htm

That could cause an issue when trying to connect to the older version.

--- George T.