Connect to 1081 Enterprise in ArcGIS Desktop using Azure AD

Jump to solution
03-11-2021 07:40 AM
tigerwoulds
Occasional Contributor III

We are running a federated 1081 environment with Azure Active Directory as our Identity Store. 

Is it possible to connect to the GIS Server through ArcGIS Desktop to publish services?

In Portal/ArcGIS Pro we sign in using Enterprise Login but I do not see this option in Desktop.

TigerWoulds_0-1615477176355.png

As I workaround, I'm guessing we could create Portal built-in accounts and connect to the GIS Server that way - but it's not preferred. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavinWalker2
Esri Contributor

Hi,

Have you tried using your Enterprise login details?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Todd_Metzler

Hello,

Yes. But...

To publish from ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap), you can only set one portal connection.  This is done in desktop ArcGIS Administrator.

If you are delivering ArcGIS Desktop to your users as a remote app hosted on a server, like we do, then that change is a global change affecting all users and can only be enacted when no ArcGIS Desktop users are attached.  Another issue that will surface, depending on your ArcGIS Enterprise set up, will be lack of access to Esri basemaps if you change.  Additionally, although an ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) user can define a connection directly to your ArcGIS server and publish that way, there is a greater chance of orphaned content if the publisher or an Enterprise administrator deletes a service from Portal content and not from server manager.  The opposite is true if a service is published from ArcGIS Pro and the service is deleted from Server manager.

So, I recommend not changing the setting and instruct your users to publish to ArcGIS Enterprise and/or ArcGIS On Line exclusively using ArcGIS Pro.

Todd

0 Kudos
tigerwoulds

Thanks! So I can sign into the Portal via ArcMap but my only options when I go to File > Share as > Service are to publish hosted services. The data is coming from SDE so we'd like to published referenced services instead. Can this be done?

0 Kudos
Todd_Metzler

Yes.  Register your EGDB (aka sde) database as a Data Store on your federated server.

0 Kudos
tigerwoulds

Hmm, I registered the DB but my only options are to publish a Hosted Service. 

0 Kudos
DavinWalker2
Esri Contributor

Hi,

Have you tried using your Enterprise login details?

tigerwoulds

So simple. I never even thought to use the username/password directly. I was so used to the 'Enterprise Login' button to automatically pass my credentials through. Thanks!

0 Kudos