Conflict between labels of two layers.

01-16-2017 01:48 AM
rawansaleh1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All,

I couldn’t figure out how to remove conflict between labels of two layers.

In the screenshots below the label of Built up layer still overlapped with Wellknown site layer considering that:

1. the built up area has the highest priority
  2. I use maplex label engine

3.the conflict resolution for Built up area equal 0

4.we have applied the “view unplaced label”, and arcmap doesn’t recognize the conflict between the labels.

What might be the issue here,How could I resolve this conflict?

Best,

Rawan

8 Replies
PanGIS
by

Hi Rawan,

on the layer with the lower rank (Well know sites) check if the "Never Remove" option in the "Conflict Resolution" tab is checked.

If is checked you will see the label anyway, even overlapping.

If unchecked you will be seeing the label in red meaning that it won't be in your output, and the highest rank will be shown.

rawansaleh1

Thanks pan,

Actually I need to label the two layer but without any conflict, and I tried many option but it fails to work with me.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

How about choosing the same (value) weights for the concerned layers (e.g. define value of 100 for both Built-up and Wellknown labels) using Label Weight Ranking?

Weighting labels and features

Think Location
rawansaleh1

Dear Jayanta,

Thank you, I tried this with no effect.

SamuelTroth2
Esri Contributor

Hi Rawan,

What kind of layer is the 'Well Known Sites'. I can see it has no symbology, is it a point, line or polygon layer?

My next question is can the label be placed elsewhere? or do you only want the 'Built Up Area' label to place?

0 Kudos
rawansaleh1

Dear Samuel Troth

Thank you for your answer.

The well known site is  point feature class, and Built Up Area label can be place out of its boundary.

Best,

Rawan

0 Kudos
SamuelTroth2
Esri Contributor

Hi Rawan,

Thank you for getting back to me and providing more information. As far as I can determine your problem is the use of the 'Never Remove' property, because you have that checked on the built-up area label is happy placing overlapping the well known site label. What happens when you uncheck 'Never Remove'? Also what version of ArcMap are you using?

Regards,

Sam

0 Kudos
rawansaleh1

Dear Sam,

I use ArcMap 10.5, and I tried to uncheck 'Never Remove” with no effect.

Best regards

Rawan

0 Kudos