Cluster machines licensing

Jump to solution
11-06-2014 06:05 AM
Marco_AlejandroBonilla
Occasional Contributor

I was asked to investigate how to create a site with multiple machines in different clusters, I haven't found anything clear about the number of license of ArcGIS Server that I need in order to accomplish this,

Do I have to buy a new ArcGIS Server license for each machine that I would like to add to the site? or can I use just one license for all machines in my site?

Thank you,

MB

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Marco,

ArcGIS Server is licensed per 4 cores.  So, if you have two machines that are each 4 cores, you would need two licenses of ArcGIS Server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Marco-

You just need 1 licence of ArcServer Basic, Standard, or Advanced. 

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Hi Marco,

ArcGIS Server is licensed per 4 cores.  So, if you have two machines that are each 4 cores, you would need two licenses of ArcGIS Server.

0 Kudos
Marco_AlejandroBonilla
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your replies David and Jake,

So, As I understand, This would be the scenario:

- I install ArcGIS Server (Licensed for 12 cores) for my site and configure it for one Machine (Machine A 4 cores) in one cluster (Cluster A)

- I add a Machine B to my site, Machine B (4 Cores) in the same cluster (Cluster A)

- Add Machine C (4 Cores) for a new cluster (Cluster B)

So ArcGIS Server will detect the 12 cores in all the Machines added to my site and it will work properly?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Yes, this scenario will work.

0 Kudos
HarshalGharat
New Contributor III

Jake,

What would be the scenario in the mentioned case if I have a 12 core license which is

1. Enterprise

2. Workgroup

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Although my guess is that Jake Skinner​ will probably repeat the answer he already gave (i.e. 4 cores/license), your question is a little vague.  Your best bet is to talk to your customer service rep or local distributor for details on licensing.  I think is doesn't matter whether the licenses are Enterprise or Workgroup, but there are so many variations to licensing (i.e. ELA, education, non-profit, local, etc) that giving a complete answer in the forums might be misleading.

HarshalGharat
New Contributor III

Thanks Rebecca Strauch, GISP​,

I have been looking out for an esri document which would explain licensing in easy terms. I tried reading the license agreement available at Legal Information | Overview but could not find any references to clustering.

As far as Enterprise or Workgroup flavor is concerned, my understanding is that an enterprise license is licensed for 8 cores and a workgroup license is licensed for 4 cores.

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

Each license regardless of level will come in a 4 core package. (Enterprise 4 core)  or (workgroup 4 core).

To make it easy, each ArcGIS Server will come in 4 core blocks, and this also goes for any extension. (e.g. GeoEvents) would also require 4 core.

If you are in an Enterprise environment, the cost will be half of the cost you spend in production in licenses for standing up a Staging Cluster.

If you are using a Dev environment, use EDN.

If you are having an Active DR, then the cost will essentially be (double) as your live production web stack.

If your DR is passive and NOT in the same datacenter, the licences are still double.  There are no license additions if DR is passive and within the same datacenter.

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Jake has the correct answer, my apologies.