Certificate warning publishing from ArcMap

Jump to solution
04-25-2019 10:56 AM
LeeBrannon1
Occasional Contributor

I'm getting this warning when I initiate the Share as Service... process from ArcMap 10.6.1.

certificate warning when publishing map service from ArcMap

It started popping up right after I configured ArcGIS Server 10.6.1 with my organization's domain certificate.  Although I know it is trusted and all is well, I'd like to figure out how to stop the display of this warning every time I begin publishing a map service.  

I followed the instructions in Esri's document https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/10.6/administer/windows/suppress-warnings-from-self-signed-c... hoping that would do the trick, but it did not work - maybe because it is not a self-signed certificate in my case.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LeeBrannon1
Occasional Contributor

Turns out I was approaching this incorrectly.  To get the warning message to stop appearing, I needed to install the self-signed certificate used by ArcGIS Server, not the domain certificate, onto my desktop machine

While talking with Esri Support, they helped me to realize that even though the Web Adaptor (separate machine from ArcGIS Server) is on the domain that the domain certificate belongs to, my desktop (when I publish map services) is only communicating with ArcGIS Server machine names on my organization's primary domain which is a different domain from the one on which the Web Adaptor is located.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

I don't think importing the cert will help in this case. The error mentions that the CN in the cert doesn't match the FQDN that you're connecting to. Importing the cert would help to address this issue if the issue was ONLY that the cert was self scanned, but the root of this issue (at least according to the error message) looks to be that either the cert is misconfigured or the alias you're using isn't the CN or one of the SAN values. 

0 Kudos
LeeBrannon1
Occasional Contributor

Turns out I was approaching this incorrectly.  To get the warning message to stop appearing, I needed to install the self-signed certificate used by ArcGIS Server, not the domain certificate, onto my desktop machine

While talking with Esri Support, they helped me to realize that even though the Web Adaptor (separate machine from ArcGIS Server) is on the domain that the domain certificate belongs to, my desktop (when I publish map services) is only communicating with ArcGIS Server machine names on my organization's primary domain which is a different domain from the one on which the Web Adaptor is located.

0 Kudos