Case sensitive database not supported error

09-29-2016 06:51 AM
WilliamLuscombe
New Contributor III

I am trying to enable enterprise geodatabases for the databases i have created in SQL Server 2014. The first one was fine but I now get this error message.

In the log it is:    Error: Success (0).
Error: Case sensitive database is not supported
ERROR installing/upgrading ArcSDE, Error = -460

Also do I have to do this for each database?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

On the case sensitive error, Enterprise Geodatabases are only supported with a case-insensitive name. The reason for this is that ArcGIS does not delimit any objects in SQL Server, other than user names:

Enterprise geodatabase size and name limits—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

"However, ArcGIS does not delimit object names. Do not create any tables, feature classes, databases, users*, roles, or other object names that require delimiters if you will be using it with ArcGIS. The object will be created in the database, but you cannot access it from ArcGIS."

Can you provide an example of the name of the database you are getting this error with?

On your question about running this tool for all databases, the answer is yes. Creating a geodatabase must be done on each database that requires ArcGIS Geodatabase functionality. However, if you have a large number of them, this can be done via Python.

Set up an enterprise geodatabase in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

WilliamLuscombe
New Contributor III

Hi 

Thanks for the information, I have used underscore in my database names so this must be the issue, i.e. World_Mapping.

In fact all the names have an underscore.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think the use of underscore is valid. But all the alphabets in Database Name should be either in upper case or lower case (e.g. world_mapping or WORLD_MAPPING).

Don't use Mixed case string.

Think Location
WilliamLuscombe
New Contributor III

Does that include the Filegroups too?

0 Kudos
WilliamLuscombe
New Contributor III

I changed the name to all lowercase but still getting the same error.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Got an old whitepaper on "Case Sensitivity in SQL Server Geodatabases".

http://downloads.esri.com/support/whitepapers/other_/CS_Whitepaper_June2007.pdf

Check if it helps.

Think Location