Select to view content in your preferred language

Can't register file geodatabase with ArcGIS Server 10.2

10-02-2014 08:42 PM
WeiminLi
Emerging Contributor

Hi ArcGIS Server experts and users,

I run into the following issue in my first time of using ArcGIS Server 10.2 and any input from you is highly appreciated. I recently set up an ArcGIS server 10.2 and I am trying to publish services to it the first time. I am able to publish map service without problem but while I was trying to publish a file geodatabase as Geodata Service from a local desktop computer (Publisher) to the arcgis server,  I run into the following error.  

00133: Geodatabase is not registered with the server

I have done the following steps:

1. Both of the publisher (window 7) and the server (Windows Server 2012 R2) are under the same win domain and I use the same user name and password to access them.

2. There are two folders under the same name were created in local drive of the publisher and the arcgis server separately. Both of them are shared so that the server can access the local folder in the publisher.

3. I have registered the two folders in arcgis server manager and I can see the folder under data source.

4. I have a file geodatabase in the registered folder and I would like to publish it to the server as Geodata service. I then run into the above-mentioned problem.

5. I also try to manually copy the geodatabase to the folder in the arcgis server but it is still not working.

6. I am able though to publish a map service saved in the same folder as the file geodatabase to the server and did not run into the registration problem, which tells that the folders are registered.

My question is, why the geodatabase is not registered? According to ArcGIS help, any file geodatabase should be registered if the folder containing it is registered. Am I missing any critical steps? Thank you very much!

W.Li

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ZacharyHart
Honored Contributor

Presuming your ArcGIS account is a local user account, have you granted permissions to that user account for the folder in question? I'm not quite sure I understand the need to have the data in two locations, however.

More specifically: for the location in which the data you want to publish resides: the ArcGIS account must be granted permission to read this data/folder. This location does not have to be on your ArcGIS server. If your ArcGIS account is a local user account (and not a domain user), and your data is not on the arcgis server, you will need to create another ArcGIS local account providing the same username and password as the one which resides on your server.

To do this in Windows, Control Panel>User Accounts>Manage User accounts>advanced and create a new local 'arcgis' user [alternatively: at CMD prompt type 'lusrmgr']

0 Kudos
WeiminLi
Emerging Contributor

Thank you very much for your ideas. In terms of accounts, I use one same network domain account for both the desktop workstation (ArcGIS) and the ArcGIS Server. It doesn't seem to be account permission as I was able to publish a map service from the same folder (in the desktop workstation) to the ArcGIS server. I doubled check this in windows and I have already had the account used for the server added to the administrator list. 

About your concern on why there is need to have the data in two location, you are right and they don't have to be in separate location. I have also tried to map the folder on the server to the desktop workstation and try to publish from there. I still run into the same problem.

0 Kudos
ZacharyHart
Honored Contributor

Wendy, will follow-up on this soon, been straight out, but I'm confident we can get this if I can understand your environment a bit more. Could you please just say where your data is normally stored: your local desktop, the GIS Server itself, or another shared location? What is the exact error you are getting?

WeiminLi
Emerging Contributor

Zachary,

My data is stored on both local computer and the server as I am working on desktop arcgis and processing data to be published in the server. The exact effort that I am getting is:

00133: Geodatabase is not registered with the server

I get the problem solved today by playing around a bit. It looks like there was issue using the web ArcGIS Server Manager to register the folders. Originally, I used the web manager to register the folders of the local computer and the server. Later on, I register the folders again from Desktop ArcCatalog then suddenly it works! I am not sure why using the web manager would fail the registration of the file geodatabase though. Both ways of folder registration are supposed to work, right?

Anyway, thank you all your interests on the topic and all the input provided.

0 Kudos