Can a single instance of ArcGIS Server perform multiple roles?

07-11-2022 04:54 PM
JonSwoveland
Occasional Contributor

So, I'm fairly certain the answer to this is no, but maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.

I have a requirement that could be easily met using Notebook server to execute a wee python script on a scheduled basis.  This one requirement does not merit standing up and (more importantly) licensing  a new ArcGIS Server, just to run this script.  
So, is it possible to add the Notebook Server role to my existing ArcGIS Server (Map Server)?  If so, does this require its own license?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JonSwoveland
Occasional Contributor

You raise some good points for consideration.  I honestly had not considered how the Notebook Server capabilities have been implemented.  It could be they get packaged into a geoprocessing task.
For context, the specific "wee script" I have in this case is to   simply iterate over a Feature Class's features (all 100 or so of them), and update the "status" field, based on the timespan between Now() and the datetime in the feature's "LastInspected" field.   There's a map service published with a layer representing these features, symbolized by status.  And before anyone suggests it, this is outside the context of  Web Maps, so Arcade Scripts are off the table.

Yes, this is simple to do via a Windows Scheduled task that runs a Python script. The point of my post is to learn more about the tools available. This isn't about providing other users the ability to run their own scripts.

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

"The point of my post is to learn more about the tools available."

That's why I'm here too. I just learned a ton about notebook servers, thank you very much. Been meaning to do that for a few months.

"This isn't about providing other users the ability to run their own scripts."

Right, I'm only thinking about my own team! 🙂

I hope to retire soon and I want to set up things they can actually use for years after I leave! My fear is they won't let me go otherwise!!