Can a single instance of ArcGIS Server perform multiple roles?

07-11-2022 04:54 PM
JonSwoveland
Occasional Contributor

So, I'm fairly certain the answer to this is no, but maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.

I have a requirement that could be easily met using Notebook server to execute a wee python script on a scheduled basis.  This one requirement does not merit standing up and (more importantly) licensing  a new ArcGIS Server, just to run this script.  
So, is it possible to add the Notebook Server role to my existing ArcGIS Server (Map Server)?  If so, does this require its own license?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Oiligriv
Occasional Contributor

Hello,
no unfortunately the Notebook license is a dedicated role with a dedicated Site, it cannot be combined with a GIS Server.

Virgilio

JonSwoveland
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I've now got two responses with contradictory information.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

@JonSwoveland you should be able to install Notebook Server with an existing ArcGIS Server instance, though it is usually not recommended.

Instead, though, you could schedule the script to run from a machine that has ArcGIS Pro or ArcGIS Server installed.  Take a look at the following document for more details.  

JonSwoveland
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply!  So, does this mean one license pack is sufficient for both?
I have done the scheduled-python script approach before, and that is likely the way I'll go here. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the options available.   The nice thing about the Notebook server approach is it alleviates the licensing headaches that come with running arcpy scripts from the command-line.  All the scheduled-scripts I've done in the past have been dependent on a connection to the License Manager.

0 Kudos
ahargreaves_FW
Occasional Contributor III

@JakeSkinner  I have this same need. We currently have:

1. An AGS designated as a Hosting Server, holding a Datastore.
  2. An AGS not designated as any role, but used to publish our RDBMS based services.

If I designate #2 as a dedicated NoteBook Server and give it it's own Web Adaptor does that prevent it also being used in its current capacity?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If I designate #2 as a dedicated NoteBook Server and give it it's own Web Adaptor does that prevent it also being used in its current capacity?

No, it will not prevent it being used as an ArcGIS Server instance used to host your referenced services.

Brian_Wilson

This is intriguing. When I first saw there was a product called "Notebook Server" I scoffed. "Notebooks", I said, "are for running 5 lines of code when testing and building real tools. Not for servers."

Then I started thinking, maybe they are the Gateway Drug to get my very smart non-programmer colleagues to take on some of those tiny tasks that I currently do for them with scripts. I can spend my time teaching them instead of doing the work for them!! MUCH more fun.

Nothing wrong with running 5 lines of code on a server, is there? If it gets the job done.

But it sounds like it's probably EXPENSIVE, and if it has to run on a separate machine, BULKY.  It looks like it's a completely separate Java app. Huh. The install guide and system requirements say that it only runs on Linux and that it runs Dockers.  Then below it says you can deploy it on Azure in a Windows machine. Huh?

I bet they spawn a Docker container for each notebook.

You have a wee script. This is where I usually back away slowly from Notebook Server saying "run it from the command line" or "let me do that for you". Expensive and very bulky approach to give my users the ability to run wee scripts. Still and all, what ELSE could work? We're small, and what else can I give them?

What could we do with this?? https://jupyter.org/hub Anything at all? Hmmm...

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson

So how much $ is Notebook Server anyway??

Sounds superoverengineered for me, whatever it costs. Like Windows when all I need is bash.

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson

Yes, and this looks like yet another approach! Based on the complexity of  running a notebook server I'd probably go for running a scheduled task on a desktop machine as the best answer here.'

The workflow of developing your script using arcpy/Pro and then deploying the scheduled task off the same machine is probably easier than any server based notebook approach. 

0 Kudos