Cache on demand not working as expected and making sure I have the correct parameters set for caching

10-20-2021 08:30 AM
LyonMNGIS
Occasional Contributor II

I would like to a create a service for ArcGIS Server that will build cache tiles as a user first visits them.  I thought that all I need to do is select "create tiles on demand" in the advanced caching settings. Unfortunately, the tiles are not building as expected.

Please let me know if I have these settings set correctly:

• If I want to build the entire cache automatically when I publish the service then I should select "Build cache automatically when the service is published"
  • If I want to only build the cache manually then I should select "Build cache manually after the service is published" and make sure "Create tiles on demand" is not selected.
  • If I want to start with an empty cache and create map cache tiles on demand as they are visited by users then should I select "Build cache manually after the service is published" and make sure that "create tiles on demand" is selected.

Thank You!

Unfortunately the caches are not building. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

@LyonMNGIS 

What version of ArcGIS Server are you using?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
LyonMNGIS

@ABishop 

I am running 10.9.  I am planning on rebuilding my server from scratch sometime in the near future.

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

This ArcGIS Online help archive for managing tile caches on demand should get you started in the right direction:

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/windows/map-caching-on-demand.htm 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
LyonMNGIS

Andrea.

Thank you for your reply.  That page does a great job at explaining the underlying theory of how to manage a cache.  Unfortunately it does not explain how to adjust the individual settings to build caches on demand.  I tried playing around with the settings but have not had any luck yet.

Thanks

0 Kudos