Basemap Label under Features

Jump to solution
08-19-2021 06:23 AM
KamillePreto
Occasional Contributor II

Basemap question!

I am using the Light Grey Canvas with World Terrain with Labels & Light Gray Canvas Base (screenshot below). But the road labels (from the basemap) sit underneath of my features, so you cannot see what road labels you're looking at. I cannot set it as a Reference Layer, because the basemap is more than just labels, it is also the shading, lines, etc. So setting it as a Reference Layer, the entire basemap goes on top of my layers, so you can't see any features.

I really don't play with Basemaps much, so this has been confusing for me. Can anyone help/give a suggestion for what I should do? I'm looking for the colors/overall vibe of the basemap below in the screenshot. I've circled the labels for reference, so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thank you in advance for any help! 😊

Basemap.JPG

Labels.JPG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like you're using a tiled image basemap, as opposed to a vector basemap.

If you go to "Add Data" and search for "reference" in the Living Atlas, you can find all the ESRI reference layer. Add one, and you'll be able to move that layer into the basemap, then set it as a reference.'

jcarlson_1-1629379906641.png

jcarlson_0-1629379881411.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like you're using a tiled image basemap, as opposed to a vector basemap.

If you go to "Add Data" and search for "reference" in the Living Atlas, you can find all the ESRI reference layer. Add one, and you'll be able to move that layer into the basemap, then set it as a reference.'

jcarlson_1-1629379906641.png

jcarlson_0-1629379881411.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
KamillePreto
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you, Josh!

The only thing I'm still confused about was how to know if it was a tiled image basemap or a vector basemap - I hovered over the symbols and didn't see a difference in those. How do you tell the difference?

Here's what the Basemap order & labels look like now.

Thank you so much for your help! 🤓

BasemapNew.JPG

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It should say in the item details which service it's coming from, and there will be a mention of image/vector tiles somewhere. Check your org's basemap group, to see what maps are populating the basemap gallery.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos