Are AGOL/Portal 'Groups' an appropriate solution in this case?

Jump to solution
01-10-2019 12:02 PM
ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III

We are looking to extend our ArcGIS Enterprise environment to additional divisions of our company which operate in an only somewhat overlapping capacity. All of our users authenticate the same way (against our AD), and each division would (eventually) be generating some of their own content. There are not proprietary issues at stake here, but the challenge is more organizational in nature.

Are 'Groups' the right solution for this, or should we be thinking more about 'Sites' in Enterprise. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Zachary,

> Are 'Groups' the right solution for this, or should we be thinking more about 'Sites' in Enterprise. 

Based on the scenario you described, yes, 'Groups' in Portal would meet your workflow needs. Specifically where you say: "... each division would (eventually) be generating some of their own content." My impression is that folks in the other divisions would be creating maps, apps, etc. using the Portal Map Viewer.

I think of Enterprise Sites as more of a 'presentation' option to share maps, apps, etc. From the help,

"ArcGIS Enterprise Sites allows you to create a tailored web page experience for your users to help you share your portal's authoritative GIS data to other departments more easily ... "

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Zachary,

> Are 'Groups' the right solution for this, or should we be thinking more about 'Sites' in Enterprise. 

Based on the scenario you described, yes, 'Groups' in Portal would meet your workflow needs. Specifically where you say: "... each division would (eventually) be generating some of their own content." My impression is that folks in the other divisions would be creating maps, apps, etc. using the Portal Map Viewer.

I think of Enterprise Sites as more of a 'presentation' option to share maps, apps, etc. From the help,

"ArcGIS Enterprise Sites allows you to create a tailored web page experience for your users to help you share your portal's authoritative GIS data to other departments more easily ... "

Hope this helps,

ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III

This is helpful, thanks!