ArcServer Hosting Site 11.2 won't create the ArcGIS Server windows service!

Jump to solution
12-16-2023 12:34 PM
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hello - in trying to upgrade Windows 2016 distributed deployment form 11.1 to 11.2, the portal upgrade, post upgrade and web adaptor installs went fine and I was able to see the portal at 11.2 through its web adaptor.

BUT - after uninstalling the host site web adaptor I then ran the Setup.exe for ArcGISServer. Took about 2 hours, the post upgrade launched in my Chrome browser, but no local host.  FQDN name for manager did not work either.  

I then looked for the ArcGIS Server windows service and it is not there.  I am doing a full uninstall of ArcGIS Server on the machine and will try a re-install, but I have no confidence that it will work.

@JonEmch 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

@DavidColey  I'm assuming that you already rolled back, however if this persists please log a support ticket and let me know the number.

Keep on keeping on!

View solution in original post

10 Replies
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Note that I am not an ESRI employee:

I am not sure, but you may have run into the major issue with a defective security patch ESRI released in June:

"Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security Patch for 10.8.1, 10.9.1, and 11.1"

If I understood it well, if you had this defective patch installed, in order for an upgrade to properly succeed, you would first need to run a recently released "Validation and Repair" tool that ESRI released to deal with this major issue.

However, this tool cannot be run after an upgrade, as you seem to already have done. From what I've read, I strongly recommend you to contact ESRI Support as soon as possible.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/trust-arcgis/administration/portal-for-arcgis-enterprise-s...

https://support.esri.com/en-us/patches-updates/2023/defective-arcgis-enterprise-patch

https://support.esri.com/en-us/patches-updates/2023/portal-for-arcgis-validation-and-repair

MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Also see this probably related thread with some posts of an ESRI employee:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-enterprise-questions/arcgis-enterprise-security-patch-dec-2023/...

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

This is not related to this issue: the defective patch only affects the Enterprise portal, not ArcGIS Server. @MarcoBoeringa 

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

This has nothing to do with the Enterprise Sites issue.  I followed and remediated my environment to address that issue.  This is all about ArcGIS Server.  As I said -

"I then looked for the ArcGIS Server Windows service and it is not there."

So:  after successfully running the Setup.exe for ArcGIS Server, successfully  authorizing the software, the post-upgrade launches in the default browser.  BUT no post-upgrade steps could happen because the ArcGIS Server window service is not there.  It is not present as a windows service.  

When I downloaded the software from MyEsri, I ran checksum on all of the packages and everyone of them came back with a matching string.  In other words, no files, cabs, dlls etc etc were missing from the software.

I then performed an uninstall and re-install of ArcGIS Server.  Upon a re-install, the  ArcGIS Server Windows service is present.  It is there.  However, at that time the only choices are to create a new site or join an existing ArcGIS Server site, because a re-install of the software is just that, the existing ArcGIS Server site no longer sees the machine as registered with the site.  You can't join an existing site because (for us) the other machine in the site cluster is still at 11.1. 

Creating a new site is not an option, not without completely re-creating our entire deployment.

We do use a domain account to run all enterprise components (portal for arcgis, arcgis server, data store).

The interesting thing is that the same domain account successfully upgraded portal to 11.2, and re-created the Portal for ArcGIS windows service.  My guess is something in our Carbon Black may be seeing the upgrade or an upgrade file as malware.  Who knows.

So for the first time in 17 years of updating either ArcGIS for Server and then ArcEnterprise, I have had to roll back my install to 11.1.

@JonEmch 

RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

I recently upgraded our dev environment from 11.1 to 11.2 and also use Carbon Black and didn't have any issues. Regardless, if you think Carbon Black is the problem, you should be able to see any blocking events in Windows Event Viewer. This is how I determined that CB was blocking parts of an ArcGIS Monitor installation.

https://community.carbonblack.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Carbon-Black-Cloud-How-to-Review-Blocking-Events...

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for this @RyanUthoff - can I ask; Is your dev environment a multi-machine site?  And what version windows server are you on?

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

It's a single machine site running Windows Server 2019.

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

@DavidColey  I'm assuming that you already rolled back, however if this persists please log a support ticket and let me know the number.

Keep on keeping on!
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Not sure you saw this in messages, @JonEmch  - My support case is Esri Case #03511117.