Archived Datasets That Are Replicated

Jump to solution
03-29-2018 06:50 AM
PatrickMcKinney1
Occasional Contributor III

A simple question for the knowledgeable.  We have a department that edits a feature class stored in our enterprise SDE geodatabase using the Collector App.  We replicate our standard datasets to a file geodatabase on their server (parent to child 1-way).  I recently enabled archiving on the dataset they edit in the field.  This is a dataset that is changing throughout the week, with features being added and then deleted (currently placed mosquito traps for west nile virus testing program).  

Here is my question:  For them to be able to see historical views of the dataset, do they need a connect to our SDE database? Or can we replicate this dataset to the file geodatabase and they will be able to view historical versions of it? I am presuming they need the SDE connection, but wanted to ask the experience.

Thanks,

Patrick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

You are right.  You will use the Geodatabase Connection Properties of your enterprise geodatabase connection *(your parent) to view the historical versions.   You won't be able to view those historical versions in the file geodatabase.  

Just to be 100% certain, I made a connection in my enterprise geodatabase to a historical version, add that data to ArcMap and go through the create replica process it will fail.  Replication cannot replicate read only data, so it makes sense.

Working with historical versions—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

You are right.  You will use the Geodatabase Connection Properties of your enterprise geodatabase connection *(your parent) to view the historical versions.   You won't be able to view those historical versions in the file geodatabase.  

Just to be 100% certain, I made a connection in my enterprise geodatabase to a historical version, add that data to ArcMap and go through the create replica process it will fail.  Replication cannot replicate read only data, so it makes sense.

Working with historical versions—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop