ArcGIS Server10.8.1 services case sensitivity

07-04-2021 12:58 AM
AhmedAl_Fazari
New Contributor

We need to enable case sensitivity at the level of ArcGIS server services. Can anyone help me in this regard.?
Currently, all the services are accessible without consideration of case sensitivity of folder and services name but we want the services accessible only with exact name as well as case.

Thanks in Advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

When accessing services through a URL, there is no way to enforce a case match.  Web browsers interpret URLs as all lower-case, regardless of what is typed in.  What concern do you have related to casing needing to match?

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Regarding:

Web browsers interpret URLs as all lower-case, regardless of what is typed in.

What references or documentation are you using to come to this conclusion? Although rfc3986 (ietf.org) states that "scheme and host are case-insensitive and therefore should be normalized to lowercase," the scheme and host are just parts of a URI and other parts may or may not be case-sensitive.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Given the question, I assume you are running ArcGIS Server on Windows.  Historically, the path component of a URI has been case-insensitive on Windows-based web servers (IIS, Apache, etc...) because Windows itself is case-insensitive by default with file-system paths.  NTFS does support the concept of case sensitivity, but it involves some customization (see Per-directory case sensitivity and WSL | Windows Command Line (microsoft.com)).  

0 Kudos
AhmedAl_Fazari
New Contributor

Greetings!
Kindly note that As per my testing the case sensitivity is only with the folder and services name, you cannot change the services name for example :

https://servername/server/rest/services/opaz/opaz_LandBasePublic/MapServer
OPAZ_LandBasePublic is the services name, it's a capital letter if you try to change it as a small letter will not be accessible.

My Problem is that I am using Load Balancer and I want to allow some services and block some services. The issue is as per Load Balancer team we need to add exact URL of Services with exact name and case. It is case sensitive with folder and service name. My issue is related to the case sensitivity of "server" ,"rest","MapSever", "FeatureServer" etc. These kind of special words.

Can this be case sensitive?

0 Kudos