ArcGIS Server

Jump to solution
02-29-2016 04:48 AM
SG
by
New Contributor II

What is ArcGIS Server used for mainly? How does the ArcGIS JavaScript API work with ArcGIS Server?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi SG,

Simply put, ArcGIS Server allows you to publish your data (i.e. shapefiles, tables, feature classes) as a service so that is accessible through a URL.  The JavaScript API uses these URLs so that it can consume and map the data.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Do you have a few references you have consulted so that people don't have to provide the obvious links to the help topics and the GeoNet Space on ArcGIS Server?  I suspect that you need more indepth information than is provided in those links.

SG
by
New Contributor II

I have read the resources and help topics related to it but I really couldn't find as to what ArcGIS Server does. I am trying to use the JavaScript API but what does ArcGIS Server have to do with it.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi SG,

Simply put, ArcGIS Server allows you to publish your data (i.e. shapefiles, tables, feature classes) as a service so that is accessible through a URL.  The JavaScript API uses these URLs so that it can consume and map the data.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
SG
by
New Contributor II

thank you. How does one actually use those URL's and create Web Apps through the developers.esri website? I mean there is a sandbox for coding in JavaScript and also IDE's but how does one actually create a web map app to be viewed on a website?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

SG,

This link will help explain what Jake is saying:

ArcGIS Server services overview | Guide | ArcGIS API for JavaScript