ArcGIS Server Temp Directories 10.3

Jump to solution
09-24-2015 10:26 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I have a development AGS 10.3.1 environment where the temp file directory is getting filled up (its on the C-drive) and it is now causing server usage problems due to low space.

Does anyone know if the files and folders in this temp directory can just be deleted without any negative repercussions to the AGS site?

Does AGS write cache files (compact or exploded) to the temp directory if there are problems during the cache creation process?  There are bundle files here that are taking up a significant amount of room, but AGS was configured to write these files to another location with much more storage space that can easily be expanded.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I know previous versions would leave files even if the cache did complete without error. Never versions (10.2.2 anyway) are better at cleaning up, if it finishes without error.  But I still tend to have to clean up files.

I'm not at my desk, where I have "the" path taped to my monitor, but if I remember correctly, it is in the AppData temp directory. (if you haven't resolved by Monday, I can try to get full path)  Once the cache is written to wherever you store your actual cache (int he ArcGIS Server folder), the temp ones can be deleted...at least in my experience.  I have our caches written to the D drive.

I tend to break the creation on my caches into smaller processed, so I can track the progress and the clean-up, if necessary, a little easier.  I just find this to be a little more manageable.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I know previous versions would leave files even if the cache did complete without error. Never versions (10.2.2 anyway) are better at cleaning up, if it finishes without error.  But I still tend to have to clean up files.

I'm not at my desk, where I have "the" path taped to my monitor, but if I remember correctly, it is in the AppData temp directory. (if you haven't resolved by Monday, I can try to get full path)  Once the cache is written to wherever you store your actual cache (int he ArcGIS Server folder), the temp ones can be deleted...at least in my experience.  I have our caches written to the D drive.

I tend to break the creation on my caches into smaller processed, so I can track the progress and the clean-up, if necessary, a little easier.  I just find this to be a little more manageable.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

As Rebecca stated, at least 10.3.1 (Did not test in v10.3.0) cleans up the temp files that v10.2.2 left behind.  The only files now left behind are due to errors in the cache creation process with specific bundles that had an issue.

There was an actual bug [NIM096672: ArcGIS for Server does not automatically clean the ArcGIS user's temp folder after running geoprocessing services that had been logged for this issue], but I was unaware of this bug.  It would be great if ESRI could provide a better mechanism for sharing bugs with everyone instead of just the individual for logged the bug.