appBuilder in Portal without AGOL

Jump to solution
09-21-2015 01:59 PM
MatthewPilgrim
New Contributor III

Hi,

I'm looking for someone to confirm my understanding and maybe answer a few side questions before I start a new project.  I have a client that wants to start with AGOL before investing in Server and needs a custom app.  I could write a JS app from scratch but would rather leverage all the appBuilder goodness. So is the following accurate and supported behavior:

Step 1: Take out an AGOL subscription for 50 users.  Use AGOL to host some data and appBuilder to define a custom map.  Use collector for remote data collection.

Step 2: If I need a custom widget then download the map definition.  Use developer edition to extend the definition and develop widgets using the SDK.  Host it on an in-house HTML server.  Connect to the data in AGOL.  Consume licences from AGOL org account.  Collector can populate AGOL but the custom appBuilder map will not be visible outside the companies firewall.

Step 3: If the clients user base grows they will invest in ArcGIS Server 10.3.1.  This comes with Portal and the appBuilder.  Modify the definition in Step 2 to point to Portal and get data from in-house Server.  No AGOL licences required.  Collector won't connect to portal as its behind a firewall.

Are these steps correct?

Can Steps 1 & 2 host/consume private data?

Can Step 3 work without AGOL organisational licences? 

How can I do remote data collection in Step 3.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthewPilgrim
New Contributor III

I spoke with esri UK so I can probably answer most of my questions by correcting the steps above.  I hope this helps someone.

Step 1: Take out an AGOL subscription for 50 users.  Use AGOL to host some data and appBuilder to define a custom map.  Use collector for remote data collection.

Step 2: If I need a custom widget then download the AGOL appBuilder source code.  Use developer edition to import the code, extend it and develop widgets using the SDK.  Host it on an in-house HTML server.  Point the code to connect to the data in AGOL using the 'portal setting'.  Consume licences from AGOL org account.  Collector can populate AGOL but the custom appBuilder map will not be visible outside the companies firewall (if thats where it is hosted).

Step 3: If the clients user base grows they will invest in ArcGIS Server 10.3.1.  This comes with Portal and the appBuilder.  Modify the custom code from Step 2 to point to the in-house Portal.  Re-write the map definition to get data from in-house Server.  Named user licences are required by the in-house Portal, ArcGIS server comes with some (depends on level).  Collector won't connect to portal as its behind a firewall.

Other questions:

• Can Steps 1 & 2 host/consume private data? YES - Organisation accounts allow private data, only accessible by licenced named users.
  • Can Step 3 work without AGOL organisational licences? NO - it requires named users the same as AGOL.
  • How can I do remote data collection in Step 3. TBC

So in-house portal doesn't save you licence fees unless you can negotiate with esri for some form of site licence. It does however move you someway from bespoke development for everything apart from custom widgets.

Matt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MatthewPilgrim
New Contributor III

I spoke with esri UK so I can probably answer most of my questions by correcting the steps above.  I hope this helps someone.

Step 2: If I need a custom widget then download the AGOL appBuilder source code.  Use developer edition to import the code, extend it and develop widgets using the SDK.  Host it on an in-house HTML server.  Point the code to connect to the data in AGOL using the 'portal setting'.  Consume licences from AGOL org account.  Collector can populate AGOL but the custom appBuilder map will not be visible outside the companies firewall (if thats where it is hosted).

Step 3: If the clients user base grows they will invest in ArcGIS Server 10.3.1.  This comes with Portal and the appBuilder.  Modify the custom code from Step 2 to point to the in-house Portal.  Re-write the map definition to get data from in-house Server.  Named user licences are required by the in-house Portal, ArcGIS server comes with some (depends on level).  Collector won't connect to portal as its behind a firewall.

Other questions:

• Can Steps 1 & 2 host/consume private data? YES - Organisation accounts allow private data, only accessible by licenced named users.
  • Can Step 3 work without AGOL organisational licences? NO - it requires named users the same as AGOL.
  • How can I do remote data collection in Step 3. TBC

So in-house portal doesn't save you licence fees unless you can negotiate with esri for some form of site licence. It does however move you someway from bespoke development for everything apart from custom widgets.

Matt

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Matthew, does you client require the data to be kept inhouse, or can the services and applications be public?  If the services are made public, then end users do not need a named user.  But any developer and/or if the data/services are not set to public, (I.e share with AGOL group if organization only), then they would need to be able to login with a named user account.

The web AppBuilder developer edition, (and I believe a downloaded AGOL version) can be hosted on a local server, like IIS.  If using services that are share to "public " you don't need a named user to access (and of course users would need to be able to reach the web server). If sheared just within the AGOL organization, then a named user is needed.  If using a public basemap, but the using local layers from an ArcGIS Server with the LocalLayer custom widget, then a named user shouldn't be required, but you may need a proxy or network/domain login if any of the Server services are secure....but that would be the step of investing in ArcGIS Server, and it does sound like they are there yet. AGOL or the local Portal version are required to register the WAB, but if they do invest in ArcGIS Server, there are a variety of options for providing the services to WAB.

if you haven't seen these already, check out my blogs for lots of links and help getting started with WAB developer edition. 

Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List

Tips and Observations for getting Web AppBuilder -  Developer Edition Installed

0 Kudos