ArcGIS Server on Ubuntu Linux 20.04.4 LTS

03-06-2023 05:35 PM
SimonMatthew4000
New Contributor

I have been assigned a Ubuntu Linux 20.04.4 LTS virtual machine to install ArcGIS Server on.

This ArcGIS Server was created from AWS ESRI ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1 (Ubuntu) AMI, and it’s running on m5.4xlarge with 16 vCPU and 64 GB RAM.

I ran "free -h" on the machine and noticed that there is no swap space configured.

This machine is expected to host approximately 800+ map services, and more than half are active daily.

I am concerned about the stability of this production machine once it is commissioned.

Would appreciate anyone with Ubuntu Linux experience to share their thoughts on this zero swap configuration.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III

The only advise I have is to not mix Linux/Windows OSs in an ArcGIS Enterprise stack. I wish this would be added to the Enterprise install documentation.

We currently run Portal and Datastore on Linux Ubuntu 20.04 VMs and Server on Windows. This prohibits us from using the webgisDr backup utility, REST /exportSite, REST /importSite or Join-Site methods of migration.

I.e. we cannot move our Enterprise stack to Azure (all Windows), without manually scripting a solution in Python.

ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

For production level systems I would highly recommend installing the ArcGIS Enterprise components on separate machines. Especially if the estimate is to have roughly 400 map services active at a given time, ArcGIS Server should be separated from Portal for ArcGIS & ArcGIS DataStore.

0 Kudos